don't look back

The next morning was boring like always, Riley woke up at around 8:30am to the sound of her step dad yelling her name.  In fear of being shouted at or hurt she quickly threw her hoodie on, with her wire now attached, and ran down stairs to see what the hell he wants at this time in the morning. "Yeah?" She walked into the living room to see Giovanni stood with his jacket and shoes on.

"I'm going out, I'll be back later. Don't touch my stuff and stay out of my office, I mean it" he huffed. Riley nodded, "k" she looked down as he left the house. Whenever he leaves her alone she lets out a sigh of relief, and that's what she did as she ran over to the window to see if he was gone yet. She watched him get into his car and drive off, that's where she noticed a van parked up outside. It must be jay and hailey, but she can't know for sure so she shrugged and ran back up to her room.

                 She opened up her drawer and pulled out the wire that hailey gave her, "uhhh" she mumbled to herself and wandered out into the corridor.  She hesitated a little but pushed open her step dads office door and walked inside, she scanned the room for a good hiding place but the only decent place she could think of was on top of the light.  The chances of him finding it up there would be low, still likely, but low, so she climbed on top of his desk and tilted the shade down so she could use the sticky side and press it down.  Once is was secured she switched it on and once the button flashed green at the top, she climbed back down.  Perfect, or not...

               "I don't know if you can hear me or if I did it right but hey guys..." she spoke with humour before leaving her step dads office.  Jay and hailey laughed a little since they could hear her alright, "you think he's gone out to do business?" Jay looked at hailey.  Hailey just shrugged, "maybe, I don't know. He could be doing anything, his cars got stolen plates so we can't track him" she sighed as jay nodded.

Riley was sat in her room all day, occasionally she went out to sit on the front step for some fresh air but other then that she was cooped up on her own. She was sat on the couch waiting for her dad to come back, and at around 7:30pm he came back, he'd been gone all day and now he finally shows up. No suprise there, he's always leaving her on her own, "make yourself a sandwich or something and get out of my sight, I've got friends coming over for drinks and I don't want you spoiling it" Giovanni huffed and set down boxes of booze. Riley nodded, "okay" she walked into the kitchen and made herself something small before going back up to her room.

                  "Or that..." jay sighed, they both expected Giovanni to have gone and done business not be out all day and come back with booze, "these friends could be his business, accomplices maybe..." hailey sighed.  Jay nodded slowly, "is she gonna be alright in there?" He frowned.  Hailey nodded, "sounds like she's been through it before, I'm sure she'll be fine" she tilted her head.  The pair have to sit in the van all day everyday until the case is closed which could take days, but at least they don't have to run around.

                 Riley was at in her room, she could hear many male voices downstairs all laughing and chatting away.  Sometimes in Spanish and sometimes in English but she could understand them and they were just chatting about random stuff, nothing alarming.  It was around 8:45pm now and she was laying on her bed with her phone on her bedside table when she jumped out of her skin at the sound of music coming from downstairs, "for god sake" she huffed to herself.  She hated being in the house when her dad was blasting music and making a racket so she put her hoodie on that had the wire in and walked over to her window.

She picked up a laser pen that she had on her drawer and drew up the blinds, opposite was the window of her 16 year old friend, Katy, so she shone the light through the window to gain her attention. A 16 year old and a 13 year old may seem like a strange duo but Riley's extremely mature and she acts like a 16 year old anyways so they fit together nicely.