Chapter 7: New Feelings

The moon finally rose and I placed a cloak over my dress. I sneaked out of the castle and waited for Layla. After a few minutes, she came out of the castle.

"Ready?" I asked.

"As I'll ever be." She said as she wore a goofy grin.

With that we walked around the village and made it to the forest. Sterling was leaning against a tree as we approached him.

"Where is Mordred?" Layla asked, sounding disappointed.

"He'll be coming. He's coming from our kingdom." Sterling replied.

"I'll go look for him." Layla said hastily.

With that she left, leaving Sterling and I alone. I felt a little awkward being here alone with him. I looked everywhere but him.

"Evelyn." He said.

"Sterling." I replied.

He came over and placed a finger underneath my chin, making me look at him.

He smiled."That's better."

I gave him a small smile. Sterling and I are just good friends, and that's all we would be. For some reason my heart hurt at that thought. He then extended his hand out to me.

"Would I have the honor of dancing with you?" Sterling asked.

"Most certainly." I replied.

I grabbed his hand and we began to dance. He placed a hand on my waist, pulling me closer towards him. We danced for a while, after a while I placed my head on his shoulder. I then felt his stare so as I lifted my head, our eyes met. He flashed me a smile.

"You look beautiful." He commented.

"Why thank you, Sterling." I said flashing back a smile.

"I can't take it anymore." He then said looking away from me.

My heart dropped at his sudden words. Can he not stand being around me anymore?

"What can't you take anymore?" I asked.

He looked back at me and I was worried for him. Sterling closed his eyes for a moment and he slowly opening them again. I watched as he took a step towards me. Without out saying another word, he leans in and places his lips on mine.

At first I was shocked, but I kissed him back. The feeling in my stomach swelled. I was beginning to feel something for Sterling, something I've never felt before, love.

He pulled back and smiled down at me. His eyes were sparkling in the moonlight. It was then when I realized what I felt for Sterling. I loved Sterling with my entire heart.

"I was afraid you weren't going to kiss me back." He said with a grin.

"But I did." I pointed out.

He chuckled. "That you did."

That's when all my doubts rose. We cannot be together. Our parents will never allow us to court, let alone to be together.

I sighed. "I'm sorry, I should've have kissed you back."

"Why not?" He asked shocked.

"You know why. We aren't allowed to be together." I stated.

"But that can change." He insisted. "They have to listen to us."

"I'm sorry, Sterling it won't be of use." I said as I let go of his hand. "It is better if we don't see each other."

With that I ran off with Sterling yelling my name. I ignored him as I reached the castle. I avoided all the knights and guards throughout the corridors. I ran into my chamber and fell on my bed.

Why did my life have to be so complicated? My family hates Creven and the king of Creven, which is Sterling's father.

And worst of all, my parents plan to arrange a wedding with a man that I have not even met, let alone love the person.

I wanted it all to be a nightmare and wake up so it'll be over. But sadly this wasn't a nightmare, it was the cruel reality of my life and there was no escaping this.