Chapter 4: I'd Rather Not Dance

The years went by and the four children secretly met each other at the forest at night. They grew more close as the years went by.

Evelyn was now sixteen, Layla was fourteen, and Lysander was eleven years old. The two girls turned very beautiful just like their mother.

Sterling was now eighteen, Mordred was twenty, and Cornelius was twenty-one.

~Evelyn's P.O.V.~

I was in the area where the knights trained. I grabbed my bow and arrow and shot them straight in the middle of the targets.

"That's impressive." Lancelot said.

"Thank you Lancelot." I said.

I was always fond of bows and arrows which turns out to be a talent of mine. I am very good at shooting with bows and arrows.

I, however was unlike Layla who was a "true princess" and what not. Don't get me wrong, I love her dearly as a sister.

"His and her majesty are waiting for you." Lancelot said.

"Do you know why?" I asked.

"There is to be a festival tonight." He said.

"Whatever for?" I asked.

"Well today is the anniversary of the victory of Avalon." He explained."Creven was going to take over Avalon, however the chosen one helped us win."

"Who is the chosen one?" I asked.

He chuckled."You'll never expect it."

"Is the chosen one still here?" I asked.

"Oh yes." He said."The chosen is still here and lives in the castle."

I thought for a while, but I gave up. Who could possibly be the chosen one?

"I give up." I said.

"Your mother." Lancelot said.

"My mother?" I asked.

He nodded."Yes she was the one who led us in the battle against Craven and Morgana an evil sorceress. We won because of her."

I was completely shocked."I didn't know my mother fought. I thought she was born and raised in a royalty family."

Lancelot chuckled."No she came from a far away land and she wore some eccentric clothes when she first arrived."

"Now I suggest you get dressed before supper is served." He said.

"Yes thank you Lancelot." I said.

With that I ran undid the castle and went straight to my chamber. A few servants arrived once I was inside.

"Your highness, you must get dressed now." One of the servants said.

The servants dressed me up and put me into my gown for the evening. I did not like being dressed, however I couldn't argue. I had this talk with mother and father.

I made my way to the great hall and I sat down in my usual seat. Everyone else had arrived. Layla sat next to me on my left and Lysander sat on my right.

Once supper was over, we went to our ballroom to dance. As soon as we arrived music began to fill the room.

Mother and father danced with each other while Layla danced with one of the sons of the lords.

I did know how to dance, but I didn't want to. I wanted to see Sterling and talk to him.

I escaped from the ballroom and ran out of the castle. As soon as I reached the forest, I saw Sterling standing there with his usual smile.

"Don't you look beautiful." Sterling said.

"Thank you, Sterling. You look quite handsome." I said trying not to blush.

"Thank you Evelyn." He said."Was there a festival today?"

"Yes and right now they are dancing." I said.

"Why aren't you with them?" Sterling asked.

I shrugged."I guess I wanted to be with you."

He smiled and gave me a bow.

"May I have this dance?" He asked extending his hand.

"But of course." I said with a curtsy.

I grabbed his hand and we began to dance. He hummed a song as I placed my head on his shoulder.

Sterling and I both knew that we were each other's enemies, but that didn't stop us from becoming friends.

Once he pulled away our eyes locked with one another. I had a fluttery feeling in my heart as his face was only inches away. He leaned in and before his lips met mine, Mordred interrupted us.

"Ah there you are, Sterling." Mordred said.

We soon got away from one another looking flustered. Mordred chuckled."Nice to see you as well, Evelyn."

"By any chance have you seen Layla?" Mordred asked.

Before I could say anything, we heard Layla coming towards us.

"Ah there you are, Evelyn." Layla said as she approached us."I've been looking for you."

"Hello Layla." Mordred said with a smile.

She smiled back."Hello Mordred."

"Well we should get back before they notice we're gone." I said.

Mordred and Layla continued to stare at one another with smiles.

"Alright let us go." I said grabbing her arm.

With that she finally snapped back to her self. As we walked back to the castle, I spoke up.

"You love Mordred don't you?" I asked.

"What makes you say that?" She asked.

"Oh I don't know." I replied sarcastically."Maybe it's the way you smile at him, or maybe it's the way you stare at him, or even the way you giggle at every joke no matter how bad it truly is."

She crossed her arms."Alright, so it may be obvious that I love him. But what about you with Sterling?"

I smiled, but then I shook my head."No, no, we're just friends."

Layla grinned at me.

"You love him, don't you?" She teased.

"No I don't." I said."Besides our relationships shan't be approved of our parents. You know we aren't even suppose to be talking with them."

She sighed."I know."

We soon arrived at the castle and after a few more hours of the festival, we went to our chambers.