Chapter 10: Not Convinced

"Well?" Mother asked rather impatiently."What kingdom are they from?"

I knew that they were going to find out the truth sooner or later. We might as well tell them now.

"They are-" I began, but was cut off by Merlin.

"From the Prudian Kingdom." Merlin replied hastily.

We all turned our attention to Merlin. Prudian Kingdom is another kingdom here that father has good relations with.

"Ah, a prince and royal advisor from the Prudian Kingdom a kingdom over the seas." Mother said with interest.

I sighed in relief. Merlin came to our rescue.

"I didn't know that Prince Albert had a brother." Father then said."Phillip, the King, never mentioned you or a royal advisor in training that is a sorcerer."

"Maybe it slipped from his mind." I suggested."One cannot remember everything."

Father nodded as he took a bite of his food, however mother looked at me with suspicious eyes.

"How long will you be staying?" Father asked Mordred and Sterling.

"We can stay here?" Sterling asked rather surprised.

Father chuckled."Of course. It would be rude to close my doors to the Prince and royal advisor in training of the Prudian kingdom."

Mordred and Sterling nodded vigorously at his words. I smiled. Everything was going as planned.

During supper, I couldn't help feeling someone's stare. I turned to see father talking to Sterling, Merlin was chatting with Mordred, and Layla and Lysander were looking down at her food as they continued to eat.

That left me with mother. She had that motherly sense which helped her find out whenever Layla, Lysander, and I were feeling gloomy or lying.

I took a glance at mother who gave me an look of uncertainty. Then, she looked down at her food.

I have a feeling that she is not convinced by our words. Hopefully she will not find out their true identity.

After supper, two servants escorted Mordred and Sterling to the guest chambers.

"Lysander, I want you to finish your royal duties." Father said.

Lysander made a face of disgust, but said nothing concerning the matter.

"Merlin, make sure my son get all of his duties done." Father ordered.

"Yes, your majesty." Merlin replied with a bow.

Our royal duties consisted of going with our father to learn to negotiate with other kingdoms, going to church and praying, learning Latin, French, and German, and learning all about our history and politics.

We had more responsibilities as we grew older. Layla and I would often finish our duties quite late, depending what we had to do for the day.

"Did you girls finish your duties?" Father then asked Layla and me.

"Yes father." Layla and I said in unison.

Father gave us a smile and then clasped his hands.

"Well, you two may go back to your chambers." Father then said.

With that Layla and I left the great hall. We both sighed in relief as we walked down the corridor.

"I think they believed us." Layla said.

"I am sure about father and Merlin, however I cannot say the same about mother." I replied."By the way she looked during supper, it seemed she was not convinced."

"That you are correct!"

I gulped as I heard mother's voice reach us. Layla and I slowly turn around, frightened to feel her wrath.

There she was, our mother giving us a stern look with her hands on her hips.

"Mother!" Layla exclaimed.

"I do not know what you girls are scheming-"

"Scheming?" I asked cutting her off."We are doing nothing of the sort."

"A mother knows her own children quite well, you would be surprised." Mother stated."However, I hope whatever you are doing is in favor of this kingdom."

All Layla and I could do is nod vigorously. Mother looked at Layla and at me before turning her back to us.

"Very well, you may go to your chambers." She said.

With that she walked in the other direction. Layla and I scurried to find Mordred and Sterling.

We soon found them in the next corridor. Mordred opened the door and smiled at the sight of us.

"Ah, come right in." Mordred said."I was just about to leave to my chambers."

We came in to see Sterling sitting on the bed. As soon as we entered, he looked up to see us. His face beamed as soon as he saw me.

"Evelyn!" He exclaimed.

He immediately embraced me and once we pulled away, we were quite close to one another.

He leaned in and I slowly closed my eyes. Our lips met and I felt in ecstasy as I kissed him back.

Mordred cleared his throat.

"We are still here." Layla teased.

Sterling and I pulled away from one another. I felt my face heat up and I could not even look at Sterling.

"Very comical of you." I replied to Layla."However, I know of something that would make Mordred quite content."

Layla's eyes widened, but she tried to play innocence as she regained her composure.

"Nay, I know not what you speak of." She said.

I smirked as I replied."Oh really? So you do not care if I tell Mordred your undying love for him?"

Mordred's eyes widened, but a smile was plastered on his face. On the other hand, Layla's face was red.

"You?!" She managed to choke out.

She came running towards me, ready to strangle me. However Mordred held her back and Sterling stood before me to protect me.

"Nay, let me teach her a lesson!" Layla said as she struggled.

"Is is true?" Mordred inquired as he held her tighter.

Layla then ceased struggling and she looked at the ground.

"I-I did not utter a word of it to you, because I was frightened that you would not return the feelings." She explained.

Mordred chuckled as he placed a finger underneath Layla's chin. He lifted her chin forcing her to look at him.

"I am glad that you love me, because I love you as well." Mordred replied.

Layla wore a smile that reached from ear to ear. Mordred leaned in and their lips met.

Sterling and I exchanged a look before Sterling cleared his throat. They quickly pulled away from one another.

"Why don't we go to my chambers." Mordred offered.

Sterling smirked and I tried not to snigger. We all misunderstood, because he then quickly added the following."I mean to talk and nothing else."

Mordred's face turned red as Sterling and I laughed. Layla scolded us as she turned to Mordred.

"You are considerate and sweet, Mordred." Layla said."I will accept your offer."

With that Layla and Mordred left Sterling's chambers, leaving Sterling and me alone.