Chapter 9: The Supper

Layla and I made it into the kingdom of Creven. We walked through a village just to see the commoners staring at.

"Evelyn, you don't suppose they now where we come from, right?" Layla asked nervously.

"Do not worry." I whispered."As long as we look forth we are fine."

We finally made it past the village and looked around the castle for Sterling and Mordred's chambers.

After looking around, I saw Sterling with his back facing us and Mordred next to him.

"Now what?" Layla asked.

We found pebbles and I picked one up.

"We throw these to get their attention." I said.

We then commenced to throw pebbles at the Oriel window. Sterling and Mordred then turned around and widened their eyes upon seeing us.

Sterling opened the Oriel window and smiled at me. Mordred peaked from the side and smiled at Layla.

"What brings you here?" Sterling asked.

"We wanted to invite you to our castle for supper." I explained.

Sterling and Mordred exchanged a look and then they turned back to us.

"Let us go then!" Mordred exclaimed.

They jumped to the ground from the window. It was only three feet high, so it was not risky to jump.

"You do not propose that we will be in trouble?" Mordred asked.

Sterling waved his hand as a dismissal.

"Do not worry. I shall take care of that." Sterling assured Mordred.

"Then let us go." I suggested.

With that we left the castle and we made our way back to Avalon. In the village near our castle, there were whispers amongst the peasants.

"Who are they?" One asked.

"You don't propose they're from Creven?" Another inquired.

"Move along!" Layla snapped.

I could tell she was frustrated and she wanted to hear nothing of the sort. However, she didn't have to treat them in that manner.

"Layla, you did not have to snap at them." I explained.

She sighed."You know perfectly well that there conversation irritates me."

"Still, you do not have to handle it in that manner." I suggested.

"Whatever." She huffed."Let us go before we are late."

At the gates, Percival and Lancelot stopped up upon seeing Mordred and Sterling.

"Who are they?" Lancelot inquired.

"They are guests for this evening's supper." I replied hastily.

"I thought Merlin told you." Layla added.

Lancelot looked at Percival who shrugged his shoulders.

"He did not mention anything of the sort." He replied."But we'll let you through. Enjoy the supper."

"Thank you, Lancelot." Layla and I said.

With that the four of us walked inside the gates and we soon arrived at the entrance where Merlin approached us.

"Where have you been?" Merlin asked rather terrified."Supper is about to commence."

"Calm down Merlin, we are here." I stated.

"And we have our guests." Layla added.

He seemed to have calmed down and he looked over at Mordred and Sterling.

"Greetings, I am Merlin." He introduced himself."The royal advisor of his majesty, King Arthur and the great sorcerer of Avalon."

"Nice to meet you, I am Prince Sterling of Creven and this is my good friend and royal advisor in training, Mordred." Sterling said introducing both Mordred and himself.

"I am a sorcerer too." Mordred added.

Merlin beamed at Mordred's words.

"Is that so? I thought I was the only one who could do magic. But it seems I was mistaken. We have a lot to talk about." Merlin replied."But blimey! Where are my manners? Please come inside."

We then walked inside where Merlin led the way. Merlin had a smile plastered on his face as we arrived in the great hall where father, Lysander and mother were already seated.

"Ah, there you two are." Mother said as we entered.

"Next time when you invite guests let Merlin or a servant fetch them." Father suggested.

We were then seated at the long table. I sat next to Sterling on my left and Layla and Mordred sat across from us.

Merlin sat near my parents and Lysander on the other side of the long table. Dinner was then served and we began to eat. Bread, lamb, delicious fruit, a pie, and lastly stew were all served. Wine was placed in all of our chalices.

"This is good food." Sterling said as he continued to eat.

"Yes, our cooks are the best in the kingdom." Father boasted.

I rolled my eyes. Father loved to boast, especially when the lords, ladies, and the other nobles came over to supper.

"Excuse me, but may I ask the names of these guests?" Mother asked.

"I am Prince Sterling, your majesty." Sterling introduced himself.

"And I am his royal advisor in training, Mordred." Mordred said as he introduced himself as well.

"It is nice to meet you." Father said.

"Mordred's a sorcerer." Merlin said with enthusiasm.

"Then you two will have plenty to talk about." Mother pointed out."Now what kingdom are you two from?"

I almost choked on the piece of lamb that I was eating. I quickly grabbed my chalice to drink some wine. I then nervously looked at Sterling.

"I beg your pardon?" He asked.

"We have not seen you two around and we know that there are no princes in this kingdom besides my son, Lysander here." Father stated."So what kingdom are you from?"

The four of us looked at one another, hoping that one of us had a plan out of this situation. What are we going to do?