A N J A // U B B E

'Confidence is a must'

"Ubbe," he was called over by the Queen of Kattegat, Lagertha. "This is Anja." 

The young man looked over at the woman to who he was being introduced to. She was different to any of the other women he had met before. Her blonde hair was shaved on one side of her head, exposing a tattoo that was exceptionally large especially for a female. The hair she did have hung on her left side, the length was trailing down to her waist. Most women would have their hair pulled away, especially if they were a warrior, but Anja embraced her long locks.

Anja stepped forward and smiled at the man before her. "Ubbe, son of Ragnar. How nice it is to finally meet you." Ubbe listened to her voice, it was a beautiful sound and given how she dressed and looked, he was surprised by the sweet tone in her voice. She offered her hand to the man before her waiting for him to take it. 

Anja noticed a few things about this man. He was not like a man she had met before. His long hair was pulled back exposing the shaved areas of his head. His eyes were a dull blue, although she did notice they had a certain glow when the light hit them right. And he had facial hair. Oh, how she was a sucker for facial hair.

Ubbe carefully reached for her hand. When he shook it, he noticed the way her eyes watched him. Her eyes were a beautiful ocean blue, a reminder of the brother who had waged war against him. "I have heard tales about you," Ubbe told the woman as he let go of her hand. 

"Anja has travelled far to fight for me," Lagertha announced as she looked between the two people. "She is one of the most powerful shieldmaidens I have met. I believe you two together on the battlefield would make for a dangerous combination." 

The Queen looked at the man who reminded her of her first husband. Ubbe looked like Ragnar when they had first met, everything about him reminded her of him. Anja was the daughter she wished she had, Gyda having died when she was young. Anja was known through the lands, she had come to Kattegat to stand beside Lagertha, leaving behind others and her own home. The two people stood opposite each other, she was smaller than him, shorter and slimmer but it gave her an advantage on the battlefield. 

"You two should get to know each other better," Lagertha nodded before she walked away leaving them together. 

Anja grinned widely as she looked down at the sword that was at his waist. Looking back up into the eyes of the son of Ragnar, she spoke in her kind voice. "I take it the sword is our weapon of choice."

"Is it not yours?" Ubbe asked although he was aware she did not have a sword close to her. 

Shaking her head, she reached inside of her black furs before pulling out two small daggers. "These are all I knew out there."

Ubbe raised his eyebrows, "Have you ever fought anyone who wields a sword before?" He was confused by how she could possibly fight and defend herself with such small weapons. 

"Let me show you," the young woman held a smirk on her face as she dipped her head towards the man before her. 

He smiled at her confidence. It was nice to have a woman in his presence who knew how to be in control of herself. Ubbe held his hands out stepping to the left so she could go a head of him. 

The two of them sparred for what must have been hours. Anja delivered the final blow, using her speed against Ubbe and taking him down to the ground before straddling him and holding one of her daggers to his throat. "I think I win," she winked at him before rolling off him and laying next to him. 

Ubbe listened to her heavy breathing which matched his. He had noticed during their practice that she was exceptionally quick and unwilling to let her opponent catch their breath. She was a formible opponent and someone who would be highly valuable on the battlefield. "You win for now," Ubbe said as he turned his head to look at her. 

Someone cleared their throat getting the attention of both them. They sat up in sync, their eyes looking to the person who stood next to a tree. 

"Margrethe," Ubbe sounded shocked as he scrambled to his feet. He had forgot about their plans for their evening meal, time had ran away with him, enjoying the presence of the blonde shieldmaiden.

Anja watched with a slight smirk on her lips as the son of Ragnar put his arms around the woman protectively. "Who is she?" The blonde woman in a dress asked, her eyes were looking at Anja's outfit and hairstyle in a disapproving way. 

Ubbe's eyes lingered on Anja for a few seconds longer. All the things that Margrethe thought bad of Anja was all the things Ubbe thought were perfect for the woman. "This is Anja, Lagertha brought her here to fight."

Margrethe held her husband's hands tightly, she noticed how Ubbe stared at the strange blonde. She wondered if her husband's loyalty was straying, after all, she had big plans for the two of them. 

"You must be Ubbe's wife," Anja was polite as she got to her feet offering her hand to the woman who clearly wore a ring in honour of Ubbe. "He is a strong fighter," she told the blonde who refused to shake her hand. "You are very lucky."

"I am," Margrethe told her in an almost spiteful tone. "Let's go, Ubbe."

Anja watched with a smirk as the couple walked away. Kattegat was going to be fun.