6. L - The Bells

"Is Ryuzaki not with you?" I asked Light as he entered the room. He had not expected to find me awake at this late hour and looked and shocked at me. I was hidden behind massive piles of documents and videotapes, working determinedly on the Kira case.

L had been exceptionally quiet to me lately, which had scared me to death and driven me to work even more and longer for his mind was not on the case anymore. L's mind had been distracted so now and then, and even though he previously could easily spend five days working without sleep, now he would seem tired after a day. I had silently taken over his role on the investigation, even his way of walking and sitting. But since I wasn't always as sharp as he was, everything took me more time and effort. I missed the Ryuzaki I used to know, and worried sick about him. But even though I often asked what was the matter, no satisfactory answer was ever given.

"I thought he was following me, but apparently not." Light answered, looking behind him to find an empty hall. "He was acting strangely, though." He added. I frowned at that comment. "Where did you meet him?" I asked.

"On the roof."

I looked out of the window, only now becoming aware of my surroundings. The weather outside was brutal, the rain mercilessly falling down, partially flooding the roads. "And he is still there?" I asked and jumped up, charging towards Light and grasping his shoulders tightly. "You left him there, in that storm?"

Light, now even more shocked, stuttered a response. "I-I thought he was following me... We were talking, he started massaging my feet, I didn't understand why-" I didn't let him finished by ran past him towards the roof.

My bare feet made no sounds as I rushed over the stairs, my pace wouldn't slow down until I slammed open the door that led to the roof. The scene I found there surprised me to such a degree that I briefly found myself unable to move or even think. L was indeed on the roof, soaking wet in the middle of the platform, sitting down in his usual manner, but this time letting his head hang down between his knees. He looked like a lost and lonely, beaten child, as if he was abandoned by all others, or never even had anyone at all. The raindrops fell angrily like shiny cold daggers hitting the ground with a thunderous sound. And their victim sat there motionless, accepting the pain brought upon him.

I slowly walked towards him, displeased by the uncomfortable wet and cold feeling of the rain. In a manner similar to approaching a caged animal, I made my way towards him. My hand was merely hovering over his shivering shoulder, but L's voice pierced the deafening sounds of the rain. "I was wondering whether you would come." His was weak and whisper-like, shivering like the rest of him. Instead of putting my hand on his shoulder, I knelt down and wrapped my arms around him, pulling him against my chest and fully burying him in my embrace. He did not seem to struggle and even nestled closely against me. That was so unlike him, for most of the time he was rather distant. But now he clanged onto me like a child to his mother, or like a lover would do.

"Why are you here?" I whispered to him. "I wanted to hear the bells. They are so loud today. Light came before you, be he could not hear them. I came back to hear them again."

"Bells?" I asked and listened attentively. From out of the distance, a small bell sounded. I focused on it and heard its voice increase in volume. More bells joined the song until the rain was entirely surpassed by a massive choir of church bells, singing their comforting, solemn song. When my gaze returned from the sky to Ryuzaki, I saw he was watching me with a slight smile, knowing that I heard them too.

"Watari took me to church often. Those bells have always astounded and calm me. How solemn they sound during all stages of human life..."

I slightly let go of L to look him right in the eyes. "What are you saying? You're not dying, L, I won't let you." My comment made him nod, and he pressed his head in the hollow of my neck, asking me to return to our previous position. "I know that. It is one of the most significant of all lovable qualities you possess. How thankful I am." More explanation on these lines he would not give, instead we sat there motionlessly, and listened to the symphony of the bells, joined with the clattering rain and the calming sound of each other's breathing.

For some reason I felt incredibly sad. L seemed to feel the same way, for somewhere in that symphony of sounds, I could hear a silent arrhythmic sobbing. I faced L and saw his huge eyes study me as he realised I had heard him cry. He was waiting for my response. Slowly, I brought my face towards his and then sweetly pressed my lips on his right cheek where the tear had been. Another one hung onto his left jaw and was kissed away as well. He allowed me to continue until no new tears appeared.

Then he looked at me. And even in the middle of the raging rain, as the bells rang as a warning for the last stage of his life, a brilliant light like never witnessed before broke through the blackening clouds, bathing me in its blissfully beaming radiance as he looked at me, and smiled.

A/N

Hello, here is your favourite Shinigami. I was so sad watching that scene with L and Light on the roof. But then that part afterwards, when L starts washing Light's feet, that was even sadder and really deep. But in the darkness of imminent death, just imagine how bright a single smile would shine! ^^

Anyways, I hope you liked this chapter, please let me know what you think of it!

Lots of love

-The Shinigami