9. Comfort you - L (Ryuzaki)

L was rewatching some of the videotapes of the Yagami household. He paused the video to stretch his limbs and pour himself some more tea when he heard a soft sobbing coming from the living room. He listened and recognised the voice. Something in him urged him to go to the sound, but since he was unsure of what to do in this delicate situation, he remained on his chair and pulled his knees closer to his chest. The majority of the human race can only get sufficiently comforted when physical contact is used, he thought to himself. So he remained seated, unsure and embarrassed.

But the sobbing continued. L caught himself feeling increasingly drawn to the source to the point that he rose and hesitatingly made his way to the living room. There he found his beloved one, lying on the couch, crying.

***

He approached me, but I did not see him. One of his hands rested on my shoulder as he spoke and startled me. "Hello." I turned my face to him and saw him watching my red eyes with pain and concern. "S-sorry," I started, "I'm probably way too loud and totally disturbing you with your investigation... so sorry."

Surprisingly hurt by this assumption, L sat down on the ground in front of the couch and looked at me. "No, no, that's not it. Can I help with anything?" he offered.

"No, I'll just be done in a moment, don't worry yourself too much." I shrugged and managed a smile, hoping it would convince him of my well-being even though I was shivering severely. L just nodded and rose, walking off.

I was slightly disappointed to see him leave, but to my surprise he only walked around the couch and climbed over the backrest, sitting in the small space of the couch I did not occupy.

Naturally I slightly shifted away to grant him more space, and before I knew it, he lay behind me, wrapping his arms around me awkwardly. I smiled because I noticed that this was exactly what two protagonists from a tv-show I had watched yesterday had done. Hence L had learned.

"Your breathing is steady now, that indicates you are feeling better, right?"

I smirked. "Indeed it does." Even though I had confirmed his thesis, you were happy he did not show any sign of wanting to leave his current position. L actually was quite a cute, clingy person once you knew him well. Lying there together, I managed the bravery to ask him a favour.

"There is another thing which might help me calm down, too." The words were spoken softly, but loud enough for him to hear. "What is it?" I heard his low voice say from behind me, the vibration of his words tickling you. "Sing for me." I requested, knowing that Watari had always sung for L when he was little, and that there were some particular songs that always seemed to calm him. Softly, L started his song. And for many more sad times to come, even though L would not always find the bravery to approach me this intimately, he would always sing for me.

A/N

The reason why I imagine L to sing in such a situation, is because L's voice actor has actually sung some songs. And they sound so natural and soothing. He has sung the Japanese version of "Sound of Silence" by Simon and Garfunkel. It's absolutely enchantingly beautiful and indeed very calming. Make sure to check it out and thank me later :) I've included it in this chapter.

Anyway, please vote and comment with what you thought of this chapter!

-The Shinigami