13. L - Next illusion

The paintings on the wall were perfectly straight and spotlessly clean. Not one bit of dust was on the painting or the extravagant frame. The landscapes they depictured were different like night and day for one was a vast, empty snowy plain, which puzzled me since I could not understand the motive behind hanging such a cold painting. The other was a crowded picture of many trees that busily seemed to be conversing with each other all the while the sun seemed to smile at them. Maybe he smiled so happily because of the dust-free frame? Everything seemed so perfect here....

Hang on... is that a stain on the ceiling?

I rolled my eyes at my own stupid thoughts. Surely there was something I could do that was more useful than inspecting the newly chosen hotel room. We had a mass murderer to catch after all. My eyes wandered off from the possible stain to the only other living being in the room.

If one could call him so, that is. With his knees held close to his chest and his chin resting upon them, I wondered whether either his spine or crushed organs wouldn't already have died off by now. In just how much pain would they be? Maybe we should have called him Quasimodo instead of Ryuzaki?

He was not too far away from me, close enough to hear the soft mumblings he unconsciously muttered. And of course the occasional chewing sounds that I had grown used to. The mumbling and chewing disrupted the rhythm of inhaling and exhaling, making the overall song highly irregular. Still, it was enough to make me sleepy.

I changed my sitting position to have a better view of my next object of inspection and rested my head on my hands after having rubbed my eyes violently. Sometimes, L could scare me a little. I never told him, of course, but seeing him like this was something I could never get used to. He had only moved from his chair if absolutely necessary and hadn't slept or gone outside for days. He hadn't spoken either. The occasional rumbling was the only things reminding me of the deep sound that was his voice. He hadn't responded to our questions, hadn't thanked Watari for the sweet fuel that had continuously been supplied to him. Nothing.

The policemen had thought him to be in some sort of trance and had not dared to interrupt. They had left for the day, to get some well-deserved rest. They hoped that L might somehow notice their presence tomorrow.

But I had not left L. Even when he was acting like this, I did not want him to be lonely. Thus I spend the entire day sharing a hotel room with a silent and slightly savage human-being, whilst continuously trying to find a new point of interest to look at.

L still seemed lost in thought. I wondered what he would think of, and what new brilliant things his trance would gain us. The periods in which I was somewhat scared of L were merely brief moments, but my fascination for him never ceased. I stared at him in pure admiration. Even with the dark rings under his eyes and that old wrinkled shirt, he still was indisputably beautiful. I blushed at how soft his skin seemed and watched his thumb that tenderly stroke his closed lips.

Those lips that... curled up in a smile. My object of inspection turned his head and looked me right in the eyes. The slightly smug smile and knowing look in his eyes proved he had caught me red-handed.

"I wondered," he said, "when you would turn your attention to me. Apparently, all the objects in this room are more interesting, though."

I was amazed to hear his voice again, but smiled at my favourite sound. "I didn't want to disturb you. Are you alright?" I asked him. He nodded and wanted to answer, but then let out the biggest yawn I had ever seen a human perform. He apologized but I brushed it away. "Quite impressive." I joked.

"You look quite tired too." He commented and turned his entire body to face me. I simply shrugged. "I'm just a bit bored, I guess." I answered.

"Bored?" Asked L and tilted his head.

"Yeah. Everyone is out, you're in your usual thoughtful state and Kira isn't killing anyone these days for some reason. So yes, a little bored."

"Would you rather have Kira killing people again?" Asked L. I frantically shook my head. "No! But it would be more interesting than staring at paintings and stains... Ugh! I want to be surprised again! To try to wrap my head around something that is a real challenge to unravel. Some nice illusion to decipher."

"Illusion?" L repeated it a couple of times as his eyes wandered around the room. Then he turned his head to me and smiled. "I'll take care of that."

I crossed my arms in front of my chest and sat back. Suddenly, I was very awake. "How?" The smiling face in front of me had dissappeared in a split-second. I looked around me in confusion. "L? Where are you?" I callout out and rose. The room was abandoned. Then suddenly I felt two arms wrap around me from behind. "Looking for me?" asked L as he buried his head against my shoulder, tickling me with his hair.

"How did you-" I stopped my own sentence and followed L with my eyes as he walked around me. "Illusions." He said smirking.

Then he took my hand and lead me towards the balcony. Before reaching our destination, he excitedly spun me around and then abruptly made me stop. "Much better." He commented and walked on. In the mirroring effect of the glass in the balcony door, I saw I now was wearing one of the dresses L liked most.

"Huuh?" I exclaimed. "How did you change my clothes? Y-you pervert!" L only chuckled. "You wanted to be dazzled, didn't you?"

We had reached the balcony and L swung open the doors. The night was dark and cold, but not unpleasantly so. The city shone like jewels underneath us. I was overwhelmed by its sparkling beauty. "Want to go out there for a walk?" I nodded in response to L's question. But instead of heading back to the door, he climbed up the balcony and placed one foot in the air. Before I could protest, the magician stepped away from the balcony.

I closed my eyes and shrieked. When no screams of agony were heard, I opened my eyes cautiously. L stood motionlessly in the air, smirking at me. "Does this suffice as a surprise?"

I watched him with big eyes in complete silence. Then, after a while, I asked if I could join him. But he shook his head with a grin. "I wouldn't do that if I were you."

Then he walked back to me and took my outstretched hands. When his bare feet touched the concrete again, I hugged him tightly. "Don't ever scare me like that again!"

I dragged the chuckling man back into the hotel room, onto the couch. My grip around him still was tight, for I was afraid he would magically disappear again.

"So you're a detective and a magician, what's next?" I joked. "Who taught you all of this?"

"I taught myself. When I was young I lived with Watari. Whenever I didn't have an interesting case to crack and the stock markets weren't entertaining enough, I took on a variety of hobbies. Watari, being an inventor, liked this one best, and I loved surprising him."

His fingers traced the lines of my curled-up lips. "In the same way I love surprising you, too." He smiled brightly and lifted the corners of my lips even higher. "This smiling face, so cute!"

I wanted to hit him, but he magically vanished again. Only to reappear behind me and surprise me by tickling me. 

A/N

This chapter was inspired by the Kaito Kid anime in which the same voice actor as L plays. (I started watching Kaito Kid 1412 just because of that! ^^) He's a magician-thief there and a world-famous detective (voiced by Yagami Light!) needs to catch him. In this one episode, he joins the thief's school to catch the criminal. Now... doesn't that sound a little familiar? XD

Can you imagine Little L practising magic tricks with Watari? Wouldn't that be adorable? ;)

Anyways, hope you liked this one! Please vote and let me know what you think!

See you, next illusion! XD

-The Shinigami