12. Comfort you - Near

The gentle sound of soft knocking on the door was drowned out by my rapid breathing. I tried to calm down, forced my lungs to regain their usual pace, but my body would not listen. I shook uncontrollably, yet I was not crying. Maybe my pain would have been less should I cry, but I felt utterly empty inside, unable to do even something as easy as crying.

The door creaked as it slowly was pushed open. Only a weak beam of light appeared on the chamber floor. "Why are you-" the voice died off before the question was finished. I knew to whom it belonged and fought the urge to look at him, knowing my pained face would terrify him. But how strong was this urge, this need for someone to recognise the pain I was in?

The soft voice whispered my name. Called by it, I turned my head and looked at the boy whose great eyes stared back at me. He pushed one of his white locks out of his face, then took it between his fingers and turned it continuously. I recognised the sign and knew he was thinking.

"I'm okay," I started and smiled, "no need to think so hard about it. Why aren't you sleeping yet, Near? You know what Watari always said when-" I stopped when Near dropped his hand back to the side of his body and looked at me with sorrow-stricken eyes. In them, I found an amount of compassion I had never before detected in neither his words nor deeds. It had always been Mello who was particularly driven by emotion, and yet here was Near, neary crying the tears I could not manage to show.

He approached me quickly, almost running towards me. Then he dropped down next to me and tightly clung his arms and legs around me, wrapping his legs around my waist and his arms tightly around my shoulders. I was fully surrounded by him, as he hugged me as if letting go would cost him his life.

Near would always be like that whenever you were feeling down, and likewise you would do the exact same thing for him. No words were ever used. Near had never really known how to properly express his thoughts when no clear rationalism was applicable. But no words were ever needed, for the same message was brought over without them. His hugs were the best and would always remind you that, whatever it was you were dealing with, you were not facing it alone. 

A/N

Thank you so much for reading this Near chapter. Please vote and let me know what you think! Have a nice day! ;)

-The Shinigami