14. Light - Shrike

WARNING*WARNING*WARNING*WARNING*WARNING*WARNING!

This chapter contains spoilers for the last episode of Death Note! It is based on a theory that I found and consider to be true because there's a lot of proof out there. DO NOT READ IF YOU DON'T WANT SPOILERS (if you haven't seen the last episode yet).

I wrote this chapter quite a while after seeing the last episode of Death Note, but whilst writing it, the feeling I got when it ended came back to me. It's not... right. It doesn't feel right, not to me at least. Even though I'm a huge L fan and would absolutely fight for L against Kira. Still, you see the vulnerability of Light, which I think is beautifully depictured, but then it just ends like that... So quickly and abruptly. So let's continue the Death Note story:

***

The vast grey plain that surrounded me like an endless desert intimidated me. It was as if my surroundings were alive, speaking to me, following my movements. They were ridiculing me, cursing me, making me trip and doubt myself as I fell to the sands and wondered if it was any use getting up. What again was my motive for coming here? What had come over me to think I could be triumphant here. Here. Where there was no one, yet I felt the presence of so many. Heard their harsh voices ringing in my ear as if their words were ripping the skin off them. Saw their red eyes so unmistakably close to me. I could even smell their rotten, deathly stink.

But every time I blinked, nobody was there...

"A-Anyone?" I stuttered. The voice sounded unfamiliar to me. As if I was watching someone else struggle on the unending sand path, pitying the fool's dreadful persistence. "I know you're there!" I shouted, this time much louder. But the wind made the sand fly upward and the grains scratched my skin like tiny dagger tips. I couched, then continued my calling. But no one answered.

"Bloody Shinigamis." I cursed. The empty path in front of me grinned at me, and I did not even know if I was heading in the right direction. My lungs filled themselves with the foul air, and my body retook a stable posture. I stood strong and called out once more, but the same silent answer was returned to me. As a last resort, I whispered a name. It was beggingly spoken and sounded more like a soft whisper, but it seemed to echo through the nothingness like a deafening vibration.

"Ryuk."

There appeared the treacherous murderer. But even as I was armed in all my anger and frustration, I broke down upon seeing the familiar form of a former friend. His red eyes saw me, and he let out a sight one might regard as empathic. "Poor you, won't you look at yourself." He said as I ceased my efforts to hide my tears and cried in front of him.

"How could you?!" I shouted at him but hugged him instead of taking revenge. "I told him from the start I would do it," answered Ryuk, who stood motionlessly as I held him tight. Then one of his arms wrapped around me, and I felt the same hand that had killed on my back. Disgusted, I pushed him away from me and lifted my head, dominating the Shinigami.

"Bring me to him."

Ryuk shook his head. "Not a good idea, it would scare you." I scoffed at him. "Oh, and now you care about me being frightened. That's just cute. You should have cared for me when you wrote his name in that wretched book of yours!" I let out a hysterical laugh. "But don't worry, you don't need to say anything to me anymore. Your eyes and feet shifted when you started talking, so now I know the path to take me directly to him."

I walked passed him in the described direction. He should have realised to whom he was talking. I was with Kira all along, and his beautifully brilliant mind had shared its methods of thinking with me.