22 | Heightened emotions

────✧ ⋆ ✧────

────✧ ⋆ ✧────

"Can you just quit the nonsense and tell?" Eunbee interrupts, voice loud and clear. Jungkook's face hardens, so does Jin's and Yerin's. 

Jungkook huffs, glaring at the woman who doesn't care about it and speaks. "It sounds like a movie— a superstitious belief." Before Eunbee could ask him to come to the point, he does. "He talked about the phenomenon of Blue Moon."

"Blue Moon?" everyone repeats, some surprised and some confused.

Jungkook nods. "I researched about it. Blue Moon refers to an extra moon, an additional moon that appears. He said that on Blue Moons, the red string of fate weakens. That's when..."

Everyone leans closer to him, making him slightly shy. He averts his gaze to his feet and continues, "That's when you can cut those."

"We can?" Eunbee says, "Really?"

Jungkook ignores and continues. "But you can't cut it with anything but a sword, he mentioned. I don't believe such a sword exists but he said that it is kept at the Museums of Fate. We can cut the string with that sword on a Blue Moon."

"I don't believe it," Yoongi says, squinting his eyes. Taehyung looks at him and nods, "I wouldn't believe it either but as far as I know Seojun's family, he's speaking the truth about his great-grandfather being tied to someone else and then he married, his great-grandmother who wasn't his soulmate. And we know it's impossible to marry someone else if you're tied with a red string to someone else."

Yoongi shakes his head, "We don't know. I am sure someone must have gone against the red string sometime."

"Strings are complicated Hyung," Namjoon says, "They aren't categorised under breathers but they work as one. Some strings stretch as far as LA and some don't even stretch till their arm's length. Usually, string soulmates spend their lifetimes with each other."

"Loads of bullshit," Eunbee says. "I bet there's no such sword existing—"

"There exists," Hayoung interrupts. "There's a sword in the Museums of fate.  I have seen it."

Arin pipes up, "Me too. Campus trip."

"What was a psychology student doing at the Museum of Fate?" Jimin rolls his eyes. 

"Asking the skeletons if they are well taken care of or not."

Eunbee scoffs, "We don't have time for your childish bickering. If that sword exists, then we just need to find out the time of blue moon and get rid of this string."

Namjoon nods but gestures her to calm down, "We need to look into it. I am sure the Museum people can help us more about what the sword is or if the sword is even the one Seojun mentioned. I think we should look into a more logical and practical approach on what has to be done—"

"Do I look like I care?" Eunbee says, raising her voice. "You guys can do whatever you want, I don't fucking care!"

"Eunbee..." Taehyung simply says. 

"You can have your sweet time knowing your soulmate but I need this string off me."

"Eunbee." Taehyung says, sternly. 

"You can disband for all I care—"

"That'd be enough, Eunbee," Taehyung says, startling everyone with his loud voice. Hayoung rolls her eyes, internally scoffing. 

"What?" Eunbee raises her voice as well, "Do you not wish to break free from this?"

"I do, more than you realise!" Taehyung says. "But I am trying to think logic here, this is not how we go about things."

"Then how, Kim Taehyung?" her voice is icy when she says. Taehyung grips the hem of his shirt. His best friend hates him.

"We'll figure something out."

Eunbee laughs, of all things she laughs, bitterly. "You don't fucking care about me, do you? Don't you realise that I will die the next time the string gets shorter! But you don't care because it's not you who's dying!"

Taehyung pokes his tongue inside his cheek. 

"You've become so selfish, so self-centred! You weren't like this, fame changed you, Taehyung, it fucking did!" Eunbee cries.

"What about you?" Jungkook interrupts. He wouldn't speak in between but he's heard enough. "I think you're the one who's being the selfish one here."

Yerin places a hand on his arm but he stares hard at Eunbee. "I didn't say anything before because I was trying to understand that you must be desperate and tried not to pay attention to the way you've been talking but not anymore." He stands up, towering Eunbee's figure, making her step back. "Our priority right now is you, your bond because we know where you stand but look at you!"

"Jungkook, sit back," Yerin whispers.

"Why do you hate Hyung so much when there's nothing he can do? Did he ask for this? Did he do this? No, absolutely not. He's stuck, the same way you are or maybe even worse." Eunbee shudders, "He's probably going to lose his career here, his best friend too if the situation worsens. He doesn't like the situation either but he's trying to be optimistic and we're trying to be logical here. So can you just stop hating everything and everyone around you, stop focusing your anger about being tied to him on others because if your life is at stake? That attitude won't help you."

"Jungkook." Hoseok shakes his head at the younger, telling him not to speak. Jin places a hand on the younger's arm, to pull him back and Yerin's gripped his shirt on his back.

Jungkook turns towards Hoseok and points at Eunbee. "What about her Hyung? You'll shut me up but what about her? Didn't you see how she's the one who is being selfish?" he looks back at the woman who's staring at her feet now, Taehyung's looking at her and saying nothing. "Hyung never said anything to you, denied nothing for you. He lived at yours, decided to adjust to your life because he thought you're the one who's having it worse. But have you ever thought if it wasn't him on the other side of the string?"

The words hit Eunbee and she shoots her head up, staring at Jungkook with lips parted.

"If it wasn't him but a stranger—your ex, some creep or someone unbearable. What would you have done?"

"Jungkook, please," Yerin tugs on his sleeve.

"You know what he said to me when I talked to him the other day? That he is actually relieved it is you. It is you, so he can rest assured that being tied up with you might not be as bad as it looks. But you have been so ungrateful to every attempt of his and now that we are trying to make your life better, you don't even want to cooperate."

"Jungkook," Yerin places her arm on his, "They know it, calm down."

Jungkook finally spares a glance at his soulmate, looking apologetically at her. Eunbee drops down, crying and Hayoung sighs, tired of the drama. Jin catches the gesture, hardening the look on his face. Taehyung crouches down too, wrapping his arms around Eunbee, murmuring that he just wants the best for her and he cares so much.

Jimin's shoulders droop low. He doesn't like what's happening now, and somehow he feels it's his fault too. Arin senses the drop in his mood and doesn't hesitate to bring out a lollipop from her pocket and shove it in front of his face. He looks at the wrapped item, seeing how it's the one he likes, the one she never eats because the other day Jin had offered her and she had whined about it. His eyes soften when he sees her smile at him and nudge him to take it. He takes it before returning the smile with much lesser enthusiasm than hers, but it makes Arin's heart flutter. It's reassuring, that hey everything will be fine one day.

"Okay, so the Pizza's still fresh out of the oven, who's hungry?" 

────✧ ⋆ ✧────