Anxiety Filled Anticipation

Revised: August 28, 2023

Chapter 2: Anxiety Filled Anticipation ⏳

~

Your parents weren't amused and neither were you. 'One wrong word in your story and a punishment is going to be inflicted', that's what their shared look of aggravation told you.

Ultimately, that 'one wrong word' was never going to slip through your lips. You were going to make sure of it by putting into practice the two most important lessons that you've learned in life thus far. First, that the key to not getting caught is by lying only when necessary. The second being that the best way to lie was to mix in a bit of truth. A combination of the two was the key to almost any situation.

The straw hat man who worked under Erina's family, Mr. Blackburn as he introduced himself to your parents, had driven you home. You were grateful for this, and even more so when he went along with your lies.

'You ruined your dress and bruised yourself by accidentally falling out of a tree.'

"But why were you in a tree in the first place?" Your mother interrogated, "That's so undignified! I thought we raised you better than to climb trees like some tomboy."

You had to bite your tongue to hold back any unsavory remarks, but continued.

'You only sat at the lowest branch. Actually, you wanted to sit down on the grass to read a book, but the grass was wet and muddy because of last night's rainfall.'

"And you thought a tree would be any better?" Father asked.

'It was dry and provided nice shade.'

"But then how did you get so dirty?"

'There was an annoying squirrel and it jumped out of nowhere. It startled you, making you lose balance and fall out of the tree. You tumbled down the hill and tarnished your dress. A young girl from the Pendleton family helped you up and their servant, Mr. Blackburn, brought you home.'

"No one else saw you in this messy state, right? Please say that you didn't get spotted by our neighbors, much less the Dales for heaven's sake! They're such gossips!" Mother over dramatically exclaimed.

'No worries, only Erina saw you wearing this soiled dress.'

"Where's this book that you were reading?" Father calmly asked.

'It was one that you bought at the bookstore, but was unfortunately lost when you fell down the hill.'

"But why did it take you so long to get back home? You had us worried sick! We were about to call the police for crying out loud!"

'You lost track of time while conversing with Erina. You even learned that her father is a very influential doctor from the city. Maybe someday you two could meet up again?'

The last thing your parents paid attention to was 'influential' and 'doctor'.

 Although it wasn't a perfect story, it satisfied them enough, and Mr. Blackburn's testimony was the cherry on top. Your 'truth' became solidified.

When everything was said and done, the man tipped his hat and bid farewell. From a distance, you watched as he returned to his modest coach and rode off. That man had helped you twice, chasing away your pursuers, and now with your parents. He was a very reliable man indeed.

"That man's clothes were quite filthy," your mother noted. "He didn't ask you for money now, did he?"

Really? Even though he just returned your daughter safely home, you judge him by his clothes? Typical. Turning towards them, you shook your head, "No."