Thought You Won? Well, Check, Mate

Revised: August 28, 2023

Chapter Fo#r: Thought You Won? Well, Check, Mate ♟

~

Nobody suspected a thing when you returned from "your trip to the powder room." You didn't know- nor cared- what excuse Dio used to leave the table, but it appeared to have worked flawlessly as well (damn him). The only noticable difference was the dessert plate in front of you rather than the rest of your dinner. Except for that minor disappointment, not much else happened. Neither you nor Dio sent any more secret messages to each other, or even spoke to each other for the rest of the evening. Just as you hoped, he didn't mention any more details in your father's contract that were wrong or possibly even cheating Mister Joestar. Though you were sure that Dio could've pointed out at least five things if he actually tried.

You spent the rest of the time at the Joestar estate mentally breaking apart. Somehow though, regardless of the fears and shallow promises plaguing your entire mind, you managed to not spill a thing. You'd never give that bastard Dio the pleasure of watching you crumble. So in hiding it, you kept up an act of being a polite young lady without a single worry on her mind.

Just before mentally checking out, the last thing you did was deliver to Jonathan the letter that Erina wrote. It happened outside, right as your family members were expressing their thanks and goodbyes to the hosts, when you decided to pass him the letter which had remained hidden in your pocket. He looked extremely confused at first, but without any energy left to explain, all you did was whisper, "From a certain Erina Pendleton," and left it at that.

Now, if that hadn't already been the perfect way to end a stressful day, then arriving home with a party invitation in the mail was!

"Well, aren't you excited? This is a wonderful opportunity to get to know more people, you should take advantage of this!" Your mother declared after she ripped open the letter in front of you.

Was it not more than obvious that you couldn't care less about a stupid party? Well, maybe not if you were suppressing the emotions on your face. But still- the only reason why she could've been so excited about an invitation were because of the thoughts of you building connections with future powerful people. A.k.a, children who were the heirs to powerful people.

With the way your mother waved that cream-colored envelope in your face, it was more surprising that the invitation wasn't for her.

More than usual, you didn't want anything to do with something related to social gatherings. Heck, talking to only one boy managed to drain your entire energy for the rest week, how would you handle several people?

... thinking about it now, you realized that you had mistakenly lied in your earlier statement. You could care less, only for the very girl who sent the invitation. The letter might as well have been signed off as Miss Snotty since she acted as if she owned the word. Unfortunately, it was actually Elizabeth, a much nicer name than what she deserved. In the past you've witnessed several instances where she manipulated others, cried her way out of trouble, or straight-up ignored people because she didn't like their faces. This "get-together" she prepared was probably some poor attempt for her and her friends to meet some new boy toys.

And to invite you? Probably only happened because you made small talk with her some time ago at the park. You believed that since she was older than you that Elizabeth could've lended you some words of wisdom. Well, that was the same conversation where you learned that her head was as empty as a flowerpot.

Still, you were going to that party regardless of what you wanted, at least that's what mother's face was saying. Nothing could change her mind now, even if you mentioned how it would look bad for you to go to a social outing before your Debutante Ball, especially without a chaperone. Yet she wouldn't care. So with a fake smile and an effortless excuse about going to choose a dress for the event, you retreated to your room and curled up in your bed with your (f/c) blanket.