The Deal is Now Sealed

To have written this letter even before the match meant that he was fully confident in his ability in chess. He came prepared to win, and you were bound to lose from the start. There's a difference between being naturally talented in something and having experience, that is what separated you two and that's why he won. That and he yet again copied your style of having a note prepared. You crumbled the paper in your palm and stuffed it down your pocket to properly throw it away later. Whatever awaited you, you did not know. And with the little you did know, you could already be a dead girl walking. So as you finally found your way to the food table again, you prepared to eat all that you could as your last meal before death row.
_______________________________
~

Chapter 5: The Deal is Now Sealed 🍰

~

Towards the fourth hour since the party began, the number of guests had begun to dwindle down until there was less than one-half of its original size. You would've been in the group that left early if it hadn't been for Dio. Between sitting at the lake, although it was a nice view, while having to wait for Dio or staying at home with a nice book in hand, the choice was obvious.

It was a short walk to the lake from where the party was, just past the shrubbery that made the perimeter of the field. A few guests were enjoying the view of the crystal clear water, one even admiring their reflection in it. But as immature children are still immature children, high class or not, there were some idiots trying to throw rocks to splash water at unsuspecting victims standing near the edge of the lake. Although you stayed away from the rocks being thrown, you didn't bother doing anything else, just sitting on a bench watching Dio from afar. Despite being the one that initiated the meeting, he was certainly taking his sweet time having conversations with the other guests. His lips were barely visible from this distance, but anyone could tell that whatever was coming out of his mouth was leaving the company around him in awe. Laughing and engrossed in his words, they were hanging onto every word.

A short girl, her rough outline showing her hair being braided and thick glasses, came up to them in mid-laughter. Bowing down, her hands were raised offering something, and on the receiving end was none other than Dio. Just as you were about to see what she was holding, a random boy moved and blocked your view. Great. The last thing you saw before losing interest was the same girl quickly running away from the "popular kids" group and those kids hunching over and slapping their knees, practically choking on their own laughter. That wasn't your problem, and you already had too many to worry about. Sorry glasses-girl, but you couldn't comfort every victim of Dio's vile personality.

Your gaze returned to the palms of your hands that held a small slice of strawberry cake. Ever since Dio won the chess game you realized that you lost your appetite, so instead of eating, you threw pieces of the cake into the water, silently watching the liquid ripple by your actions and the little tadpoles swimming towards it.

You pretended not to see him as he got closer to the lake or when he began to circle around the lake's border. No, even as he got closer you didn't take your eyes off of your fingers or the cake or the fish. It was your last attempt to soak up your final moments of calm, like the cake that soaked up the water as it fell into the lake before it was eaten. But as if a boulder was thrown into the lake which created large tsunamis, ignoring Dio was impossible once he took a seat next to you.

Though your breath hitched, it was covered by the creak of the old wooden bench when he sat down. He didn't say anything for the longest time and neither did you. You just kept throwing cake at the fish. However, as you did so, you could feel his gaze burying into you. You kept going.

"Why are you doing that? Trying to fatten up the fish?" He finally blurted out with a snarky tone.

"Well, I'm not hungry anymore, would you rather I throw the cake away and let it go to waste?" You responded, quite passive-aggressively at that last part.