(Extra)

🤺 Fencing with Rising Tensions

A chapter that I thought would be cool but that I couldn't figure out how to write without making it 3 chapters (which is something I would rather not do), and make it fit into the story so I scrapped it. In any case, since I haven't updated in months due to this chapter, I thought I might as well post it. After I've finished this story, I may get to it eventually after I edit the other chapters! But consider it 'non-canon' for now. The actual chapter will be posted soon!

The unwanted layers hugged your sweaty skin like a thick blanket on a hot summer night. Rather than paying any attention to it, or showing that it bothered you, you instead paid close attention to the words of the middle-aged man driving the carriage.

"Are you sure that nothing got left behind? We left in quite a rush. It was my fault I know, but I hope that you came with everything you needed." He asked.

"I was fully prepared hours before you came rushing to my door in a hurry, crying about how you had lost track of time and some important papers or something." Your muffled voice replied. You had to talk at a higher volume to be heard through the mask you were wearing. Even then it didn't change the fact that others would instantly recognize your voice as that of a child transitioning to their teenage years. Nothing else would hint at it except for your height, since you were dressed in a soft fencing outfit that covered every part of your body.

"Do you mind if I go through the list then?" The man requested. When he received a nod in reply, he shifted the horses' reins to his left hand and listed off the items with his right. "First thing that I didn't get to check correctly was if your outfit was put on properly."

The receiver of the question began to wiggle and shake her limbs as if she was doing an awkward dance in her seat. Nevertheless, everything remained still, proving that there was nothing loose. 

Gaining your composer you said, "Not a single thing out of place."

"Good. The helmet's on nice and tight then I suppose?"

This time you went and tried to simply pull it off your head. Without unlatching the two secret chains attached on the inside, it stayed put. In this way, if anyone tried to yank off the helmet to find out your identity, nothing would happen except a slight tug.

"Secured."

"Great. And are the err... chest bindings in place?"

"I put it on just as the doctor instructed, but you'd have to be the one to tell me if you can see anything," you answered back without hesitation. 

"Uh, nope. It looks like we're all good to go Y/n!" The man returned to holding the reins with both of his hands. He then looked at their companion one more time before adding on, "Aw, I still remember how you just needed padding under the outfit two years ago to look like a boy." 

"Yes, but I've matured since then Father." You replied calmly.

"Of course, you're becoming a young lady! But you also know what that means right? This'll be the last youth tournament you can compete in by the rules of age, and it would be too difficult hiding your identity in the young adult's competition."

"I'm well aware of that and I'm prepared to go out with a bang," you declared with newfound zeal. "And now I'm going to be asking you questions. Did you take my advice when you were speaking with the fathers of other competitors and the judges?"

"I have, and let me say that it was a truly brilliant idea on your part. By dropping 'subtle' hints in conversation, the rumors going around now is that you are simply a family friend's child who I sponsored after witnessing their talent. There is no chance of them finding out that Y/n L/n is competing in a boys' fencing competition. Not only that, but your idea to give your mother a generous amount of money to go out shopping with her friends worked perfectly to have her gone for a bit while you compete!"