ten

"To be fair, it would be so easy to kill someone and get away with it." Sam shrugs, allowing me to put my stuff into my locker. "I would totally murder someone, if I wanted to."

This statement would normally raise alarm, but I promise that Sam is harmless. She's far too worried about her nails to kill someone.

I shake my head, replacing my books and zipping up my backpack before hauling it over my back and looking at her. "Have you killed someone and this is your subtle way of telling me?"

She crinkles her nose in disgust, looking at me as if I've just hit her. "No, but do you know who has?"

"Hey, Adeline." A voice speaks up from behind me, making me turn around and close my locker. "Sorry for scaring you, can I talk to you?"

He always had the worst timing, and this was one of those times.

I stare up at Ashton in horror, not necessarily enjoying his timing. He looks at Sam before returning his eyes to me, a bit more urgently. "It's important, and I need to talk to you in private."

I turn to look at Sam and she shrugs, not caring what I do. "I'll be right back."

I follow Ashton out of the school's entrance, trying to think of what he could possibly want to talk to me about. He leads me over to the bench that Calum and I sat on a few weeks ago, turning around and looking at me. "What did he tell you?"

I stare at him in shock, not knowing what he's talking about. "I'm sorry?"

"Don't act stupid, Adeline. He was at your house all night. Tell me what he said to you, or you'll regret ever talking to him." He acts as if he's scaring me, stepping towards me daringly.

"Where were you, Ashton?" I respond, causing him to freeze. "I know that you were at my house all night, so why didn't you get him sooner? Actually, I know that you're the one who dropped him off to get information out of me. He hasn't spoken to me since he left my house, so grow up."

He stands there, looking at me as if I've just told him something he didn't expect me to say.

"If you think you know me, you're wrong." He speaks up, causing me to laugh.

"Yeah, I bet I am. Just like you've been caught doing illegal things multiple times. Calum didn't tell me anything, but I've talked to two people that have. If you think you scare me, you're dead wro-"

Mali told me a few things, but not everything I needed to know. She pointed me in the direction of someone that told me everything, and that I'm forever thankful for.

Before I can say anything else, he wraps his hand around my neck, stopping my breathing. I look at him, not moving from my spot as he stares in horror at my lack of reaction. Just as I feel I'm about to pass out, someone shoves him off of me.

I still think about this action from time to time. What pushed him over the edge? I don't know, but I do know that if he hadn't been pushed off of me then he would've killed me.

"What the hell is wrong with you, Irwin?!" Mali yells, standing between us as I try to catch my breath. She turns to look at me, worry pooling her eyes. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine." I whisper, rubbing my throat with my hand as an attempt to soothe the throbbing. "We were just talking and I pushed the wrong button."

"He almost killed you, Adeline!" She yells, causing me to look around and notice we're alone out here. She looks at Ashton, her stance making me feel as though she's about to hit him.

"I'm not the first." I mumble stepping away from them. "I've got to get to class."

Definitely not the last, either.