fourteen

"So, it wasn't your fault?" The woman across from me asks as I finish explaining what happened to Calum Hood. "Then why are you here?"

"Because I want to forget." I whisper, running my finger across the chain hanging from my neck.

"You want to forget? Why?" She tilts her head, causing me to suck in a shaky breath.

"Because I love him. He may not have felt the same way, but I loved him more than anyone will ever know, or understand. I just want to forget him and everything that happened until I somehow see him again. I feel like I need to get away from it all until I see him again." I explain my reasoning as she nods.

"You do know that this is something you can't rewind, right?"

"I do, yes." I pause for a moment, looking down at my trembling hands. "I also know that eight shots of vodka and hours of screaming into the air isn't going to bring him back. I know that love is reckless and stupid. I know that he lingers around me like a secret I shouldn't keep and I can't escape him not matter how hard I try. I know that I had so many chances to get rid of him and help save him. However, I don't know why this is all happening to me. I don't know what I did to piss of the higher power. I don't know what it is about him that makes me want to scream at the stars to bring him back, because those eight shots of vodka won't. I don't know why I'm here and he's not. I know that this is irreversible, that's why I want it so bad."

I look up at her to see fear in her eyes. "The world is on fire, and it's my fault. I need to forget this, I need to forget him."

She lets out a soft sigh, looking down before leaning forward and placing her hands on my face. "Are you sure?"

"The only thing I've ever been more sure about than this, is him."

She does whatever it is that she needs to do before finally backing away. She stares at me, but I can't help remember what it is that I came here for.

"That necklace looks amazing on you, thank you so much for coming in."

I look down to see a golden chain and a necklace with a crystal on it. I let out a sigh, saying my farewells before exiting the shop.

I walk down the steps, the warm breeze blowing my dress in all different directions.

I turn the corner and slam into someone, looking up to meet brown eyes. He grabs his stomach, as if there's a wound there.

"I'm so sorry!" I quickly apologize. "That was definitely my fault."

I look around to notice that it's just us on the street. He stares at me with his mouth wide open as if he's never seen anyone that looks like me before in his life.

"Are you alright..?"

He closes his mouth, holding out his hand for me to shake. "What's your name?"

"Adeline, I'm not from here. I'm just visiting temporarily. Yours?"

"Calum, I'm not from here either. I'm just trying to stay out of sight. You know, with everything." I furrow my eyebrows, trying to figure out what he's talking about causing him to speak up again. "We almost got our happy ending, huh."

"I'm sorry...am I supposed to know you?"

My question makes him laugh awkwardly and shake his head. "You know what, I'm sorry I bothered you. I thought we had known each other, that's entirely my fault."

I watch as he walks past me before turning around. "Try not to assume the world is on fire if your house is, okay?"

"Okay." I nod, still wondering what he's talking about. "Good bye, Calum. It was nice meeting you."

"Good bye, Adeline. Thank you for being my almost."

//

A/N: yeah yeah surprise. there won't be an epilogue :)

Was this shorter than my other books? Yes. Was it my worst book? Also yes, but I also want to remind you that happy endings aren't always going to happen.

That's just the way life works. :)