5

The rest of the school day went on with either people treating me like a baby puppy or people being mean to me for being a werecreature. I also haven't seen Ruben but I do hear people talking about him.

It's the last period and it's almost time to go. School went on what felt like forever. I laid my head down on the desk as my tail swayed waiting for the bell.

I sniffed the air smelling static, it's going to storm again soon. I hate storms, it's the worst thing.

"Callum is there something wrong?" My teacher asked me "you're whimpering"

"Oh sorry, there's just a storm coming" I told her.

"It's alright, is your whimpering something you can control?"

"Yes ma'am but sometimes I can't control it"

"Can you try to control it for the rest of class?"

"Yes ma'am, I'm sorry"

She patted my head making my tail wag. I like this teacher, she isn't being mean or babying me like the others. The bell rang and I covered my ears. Why are they so freaking loud?

Once the bell stopped ringing I got off my chair and grabbed my bag. I get to go home right? I should catch up with Ruben. I left the classroom and looked around in the halls to find Ruben.

After a minute I gave up and started to walk back home. Knowing him he probably left already. I mean, he told me to go back to the wild, and he doesn't care about me, he just cares about himself. So why do I want to be around him? Why do I still like him?

Shaking my head I started to run back home hopefully catching up with Ruben.

"Callum welcome home, did Ruben come with you?" Ruben's mom smiled as I walked inside.

"Ruben isn't home? I thought he left before I did"

"He must be out with friends again, say, want to help me outside with the garden?"

"A garden?"

"Yep, we have to pick the strawberries today, and there's lots of them because that's Ruben's favorite"

I wagged my tail and jumped in excitement. I want to help make Ruben happy, this can change things.

"Alright, go upstairs and change into some clothes you don't mind getting dirty"

"Yes ma'am" I quickly ran upstairs and put my bag down by my doggy bed.

All of the strawberries are now picked with some other fruits and vegetables. I never had fruit or vegetables, in the wild we don't eat them. We mostly ate meat.

I dug a hole for Ruben's mom to plant some flowers. I didn't know a garden was in a glass dome type of thing, I thought it was all outside.

"Good job Callum, that hole is big enough" Ruben's mom patted my head.

I barked in response and ran in circles a couple of times.

"Mom have you seen that mu- oh, it's here" Ruben came into the dome.

I barked at him and quickly ran up jumping onto him making Ruben fall over. I licked Ruben's face happy to see him. I can't control my excitement, my tail is wagging really fast.

"Stupid mutt get off of me" Ruben pushed me off then wiped off the slobber on his face. For a split second I thought I saw a smile.

Ruben got back up and I grabbed his pants leg with my mouth trying to pull him over to the strawberries we picked for him.

"Calm down Callum" Ruben's mom laughed.

Ruben went over to the basket of strawberries and picked one out. He washed it with the hose then ate it.

"I'll take these inside" Ruben said grabbing the basket "come on mutt"

I wagged my tail and followed him.

I felt someone pick me up as I slept on the doggy bed. As I opened my eyes I saw Ruben with an emotionless face taking me out of the room. I laid my head back down too tired to care where he's taking me. I heard water starting to run making me look back up again.

Ruben took off my collar and set it on the sink counter. He put me in the tub then he poured water on me. I growled at him and tried biting his hand.

"Stop, you need a bath, you're all dirty"

I turned into my human form and glared at him not saying anything. My body felt slightly lighter and colder. Looking down I realized that my clothes are gone. What the hell happened to them?

"What happened to my clothes?" I tried covering my body.

"Don't know, don't care" Ruben said as I heard slight amusement in his voice.

"Dog shampoo? I can't use this" I picked up the bottle of dog shampoo

"Why not? Aren't you part dog?"

"Part wolf" I corrected him "and it's because it burns my skin making it really red and itchy"

"Oh, so you're allergic, what about human stuff?"

"I don't know, I was forced to use the dog shampoo for a year"

"Well only one way to find out" Ruben put shampoo in my hair.

"I can do this myself you know" I growled

"No you can't, you would just get your hair and tail wet saying you took a bath"

I huffed knowing that he's right. I hate baths. Unless it was in the creeks because those turned to me and my pack playing in the water. Then I would be cleaned by my mom licking me.

"What's wrong?" Ruben asked getting the suds out of my hair.

I whimpered in response putting my chin on my knees. I just want to go back to the wild, I want to be with my pack.

"Callum" Ruben whispered getting in front of my face.

"I just miss my pack that's all" I told him holding back tears.

"It's okay to miss your family, I know what it's like missing family"

"But your family is here"

"I'm adopted" Ruben admitted "you're clean, get out"