7

I watched Ruben eat strawberries while he is playing on his phone. It's Sunday evening and nothing really exciting has happened. I jumped up onto Ruben's bed and laid my head on his shoulder.

"What is it mutt?" Ruben sighed

I looked at his face and there's a cut on his lip from the other night. We didn't talk about what happened, like it never existed.

I shifted to my human form still staring at him. When I was younger my mom would always give me a kiss on where I got hurt to make it better. Maybe if I kiss Ruben's wound he'll be better.

I leaned into Ruben and kissed his lips where the wound was. Ruben stiffened and I could almost feel him kiss back before he pushed me off.

"What the hell Callum!" Ruben pushed me off of him.

"Sorry, I thought maybe if I kissed your wound it would feel better, like how mom did it"

"Oh geese, no Callum, you're supposed to kiss the people who you love, not to make wounds go away, that's some kid shit"

"Okay, well, I love you, so I'm allowed to kiss you right?" I tilted my head confused.

"N-no, love as in, date love" Ruben blushed.

"Date love? What does date mean?"

"Someone who you want to be in a relationship with or already in one"

"Oh, can I be in one with you then?"

"You're still not understanding are you" Ruben sighed

"Not one bit"

"Okay, just, don't kiss me or anyone else understand"

I nodded and laid my head down on his lap.

"Can you tell me about your birth parents?" I asked him.

"Not really, I don't know much about them besides they had to put me up for adoption because I was quote in quote special"

"You are special"

"How?"

"Because you're you, and there's no one else who is like you, yeah someone might be similar, but you are your only you"

"Wow, so fucking cheesy" Ruben rolled his eyes.

"I like cheese" I giggled.

Ruben smiled a bit then he started to play a game on his phone.

I walked into the school messing with my collar. It hurts so much but it's part of the werecreature uniform. A couple more werecreatures go here now and I'm not the only predator.

"CALLUM" My friend Justin jumped on me. He's a werewolf like me and he's also from the wild.

I tackled him to the ground and we both started play fighting in the hall. It's been a long time since I've fought like this. Justin bit my shoulder so I bit back.

"GET OFF OF HIM" Ruben pulled Justin off of me.

"Ruben, it's alright, we were play fighting" I smiled at him.

"SHUT UP YOU MUTT, YOU'RE BLEEDING, PLAYING ISN'T MAKING EACH OTHER BLEED"

I whimpered and lowered my head. Maybe he's right, I'm in the human world now, not the wild, it's different here.

"Look, I know Callum is your pet but this is how us werewolves play in the wild. Both Callum and I haven't been in the wild for a long time so we got excited, these bite marks aren't that bad for us and they'll heal by tomorrow" Justin told Ruben.

"Look at this, Ruben is trying to help the poor doggies" a guy laughed at Ruben.

Normally I would growl and bark at them but Ruben is upset with me.

I felt Ruben stare at me as I didn't do anything to them. I just lowered my head more my tail going in between my legs.

"Awe and his little puppy isn't going to fight for him this time, poor thing probably gave up on you too like it should have in the beginning"

"I never wanted this mutt in the first place" Ruben told them then pushed me to the ground walking out of the school.

"Aren't you going to get your owner little doggy"

"You heard him, he never wanted me so why the hell should I go after someone who just wants to be a fucking prick" I glared

Justin grabbed my arm and pulled me away from the crowd that formed. Tears started to pour from my eyes making everything in sight blurry.

The school day finally came to an end painfully slow. My mind was on Ruben the whole time and how he doesn't even want me. Why do I even stay with him? All he does is call me a stupid mutt and yells at me.

"How are you holding up?" Annabel came up to me.

I didn't answer her. My mind is running with too many things.

"I'm sure he didn't mean it"

"You said it yourself, he's a rich snob who's selfish" I whispered.

"Well yeah but-"

"But nothing, I just want to be alone please"

I ran away from Annabel and ran to not the direction of the house. I have no idea where I'm running to. I just want to be alone. I never wanted to be alone before, it feels disgusting.

That's a lie, I have wanted to be alone before, but I was never upset, I just wanted to listen to birds and the wind and water. To be in quiet, but this is me wanting to be alone because I feel lost and angry, and sad.