--attempt 1--

//Cat_Grenade made fanart!!! Go check it out :D
Also it's been a while since I made chapter cover art. (My style has changed a bit) Should I make more or do you guys want to make me some? I love seeing others art and I always credit <3

It had been over a week since I'd arrived. And the experience left me with a roller coaster of emotions. Every morning, I would wake up and scout out the castle, pretending I was just exploring. Afterwards, I would hang out in the library on the balcony I basically claimed as my own. Which unfortunately made it a lot easier for Schlatt to find me.

Why is this unfortunate? Because the man barely gave me space to breath! About ten minutes after I get comfortable, Schlatt would come and drag me off, sometimes literally, and make me watch as he did his daily activities. It was annoying as shit.

But today, I came prepared. Before I left, I'd grabbed a small glass jar that had been hidden in my guitar case along with a couple of identical jars with different liquids inside. Pocketing the vial, I stepped out side and walked down the hall towards the kitchen area. Sometimes I would pick up a drink, usually coffee, and take it to the balcony with me.

The first time I did it, Schlatt promptly snatched the drink and drank it in front of me. After the same thing happened on a couple different occasions, I just started getting two drinks. He still would take whichever one I'd drank out of, much to my annoyance.

As I reached the library, I went out to my usual seat, placing the mugs on the small side table. Pulling the vial out of my pocket, I poured a small dosage of the poison into both drinks. I, of course, wasn't going to drink mine, claiming that I didn't want it and only took it because they had it pre-prepared for me.

Once I poured a generous amount of the highly deadly poison into the two drinks, I closed the vial before tossing it over the balcony. It landed in a potted plant a couple floors down. I would collect it later.

As predicted, within ten minutes of my arrival, none other than the King himself walked through the doors and took his usual seat. "Hey there, lover boy!"

I just hummed in acknowledgement, feigning sleepiness. He chuckled at me, before reaching across the table and picking up my fucking drink. I just lightly chuckled at him. Through half lidded eyes, I watched as he slowly raised the glass to his lips, preparing to take a sip...

Then he froze. To my surprise, he inhaled, then scrunched his nose in disgust. Picking up the other cup, he did the same before setting it down again. I raised an eyebrow curiously, faking confusion. He looked at me with sudden dead seriousness before asking, "Have you taken a drink of this yet?"

I sat up in my chair. "No..? I didn't really want one this time, but as I passed by the kitchen they'd already had it prepared. It was so nice of them, so I couldn't refuse. Why do you ask? Is something wrong?"

The sudden flip in his personality unnerved me.

To my surprise, he took both mugs off the table and poured the contents out over the balcony. I protested, feigning concern at the wasted beverages. "Hey-!"

He looked at me, seemingly studying me. "Don't pick up any more drinks. I'll bring them to you from now on, understand?"

"I- okay..?! Could you explain what's happening?"

He studied me again, his dark eyes making a shiver creep down my spine. "Do you really want to know?"

I nodded.

"Well, it's safe to say that one of the workers in the kitchen just tried to poison either you, or me."

Faking shock was easy. I still didn't know how the fuck he detected it so easily though. I opened my mouth in surprise. "What?!"