06| misjudged

──・・𖥸・・──

──・・𖥸・・──

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a bit disappointed by seeing Hudson. Earlier, he made it seem like he wanted nothing to do with Selene, but here he was, in my house, about to go to bed with her. I honestly don't know why I care.

"What was that about?" My brother, Lucas, asks.

"Selene brought some guy home, that's all," I shrug and sit on my bed across from him. "Anyway, what're you doing in town? I thought you were going to Florida for work."

He nods. "I'm still going, I just figured I'd stop by and check on you before I got back on the road...it's been a while."

"Yeah," I look at anything but him as my eyes begin to sting. "It has been. How's Dad doing?"

"He's good. He misses you."

"I miss him too," I say, barely louder than a whisper.

Lucas reaches out and holds my hand in his. "I won't ask what happened, but I hope you know that we're here for you, no matter what."

"Thank you, Lucas," I smile and squeeze his hand.

"I should let you get some sleep, I've gotta leave early tomorrow so I better get back to my hotel room."

I wish he was staying longer, but I don't dare stop him. Not only for him, but for myself too. That conversation was heavier than it probably should have been, and all I want to do now is cry. I miss my family so much, but I just can't be around them right now. Not after everything that's happened.

Lucas closes my door behind him and so many thoughts crash down on me at once. The most prominent of which involves a certain playboy. I don't know why he's on my mind, but he is, and it's getting on my last nerve. I turn out the lights and crawl into bed, pissed off that my last thoughts as I fall asleep all involve Hudson.

. . .

I wake up to the sound of voices. It sounds like there's at least 3, but the only one I can recognize right now is Selene's. I swing my legs over the bed and stand up a little too fast. I grab onto my nightstand as a wave of dizziness washes over me, and it's the only thing stopping my knees from giving out on me. I should really ask my doctor about that. The voices quiet down for a few moments, but then they start up again. Before I go downstairs, I take a quick shower and change into a pair of leggings and a sweatshirt.

I walk downstairs, careful to be as quiet as possible. I head into the kitchen, making sure to sneak past the living room since that's where all the voices are coming from. I know Selene brought Hudson home last night, but I don't want to know who else could possibly be here. Right now, my biggest concern is getting food into my system.

I open the fridge and pull out a carton of eggs. It seems like Selene and her guests got to it first, there's only about 6 left inside. Whatever, I only need two. I back up so that I can close the door and find myself running into a slender yet muscular body. I look up only to find Hudson staring back down at me. Great. Really fucking great.