𝚜𝚎𝚟𝚎𝚗

∗

"Miss Veuilleton. Lord Bridgerton is here." A sound of footsteps approaching the Drawing room.

"Lord Bridgerton." Elia bowed. "What a nice surprise, did you had a nice evening with your family?"

"Yes I did, Miss Veuilleton." He smiled, slowly picking her hand to place a kiss on the back of it.

"I'm glad." She smiled. "Place take a seat."

"Dear, your sister and I would be next door, just remember that you need to get ready soon." Adelié told her, dragging Elaine with her as she exited the room.

"It looks like we are going to have a brief chat." Benedict joked as he took a Biscuit. "Did you make this one's, Lia?" The new nickname leaving his lips before he could stopped himself.

"Lia? That's new."  She joked, a light blush appearing on her cheeks. All her life she has been called Elia, so the sudden nickname made her smile. "But yes, I did. I'm trying to change the orange cookies recipe. But it's not coming along."

"And why is that?" He asked intrigued in her liking at cooking.

"I think it's because of the sugar." She questioned herself. "I genuinely don't know."

"Well, aside from your failure at the new orange recipe. How have you been?"

"I'm been great Benedict, except for the fact that my brother hasn't been home a lot but I have a great amount of suitors that I get along pretty well, I wish I could stay with them as friends, but I don't think they would like it." She laughed. "How about you? Any lady you would like to court?"

"Not for the moment." He said, her smile suddenly fading away.

"Oh."

"Is everything alright?"

"Yeah, everything is fine but I should get going." She told him while standing up, wanting to leave his side as fast as she could.

"Well, I'll see you tonight, dear." He say goodbye with a smile and exited the room. A sudden feeling hurting in her chest.

"Is everything alright, honeybee? You been awfully quiet." Her mother told her while due brush her daughter's hair. She could look at the sad gaze Elia have her. "Did something happened with Lord Bridgerton?"

"Should I feel bad, mama? Because when I asked Benedict about him planning on courting someone he told me he wasn't planning on doing it." She sighed. "Should I feel bad that all these days I thought he wanted to court me? But and the End maybe he just wanted a friend."

"Oh darling! Don't feel that way, sometimes we say thing we don't mean because we are afraid to show our true self. Look at it this way, my girl. When we are young we look for someone to build a wall with, in this case, Grandma Vinny was the one that helped you build that wall in which you would keep your feelings, hobbies, memories, likings, everything you'll like to keep safe. And after you meet people along your life they would take brick away from that wall, only for you to show them your humor, intelligence, your soft spots, your true self." She said while caressing softly her left cheek, that now had not so many freckles. "Maybe Benedict is not ready for you to take the last brick and start a nice road to his heart. But I've seen the way he looks at you, his eyes sparkle every time he sees you. Give him some time." She whispered.

"But what happens if he doesn't want me to be the girl who start the road?" She murmured.

"He will." She told her with a bright smile. Let's put that beautiful dress on and let it do the rest.

"A dance, Miss Bridgerton?" The duke asked once she was close enough, her family behind her.

"I shall need someone else to seek me a glass of ratafia, then." Lady Danbury said "Lord Bridgerton do me the honor?" She smirked.

"Of course, Lady Danbury." Anthony murmured.

As the music started the couples in the dance floor started to dance, people chatting or eating all around the hall. All eyes on Daphne and the duke. From aside Aelianna watched the pair a bright smile on her face, after she help Daphne get out of Lord Berbrooke uncomfortable chat, they became friends. Talking and laughing every time they saw each other at the park or at the balls.

"Go dance with your sister." Anthony instructed Benedict from where they were watching.

"Why?" Benedict asked.

"Because I asked you to!" He told him a groan leaving the second born Bridgerton lips.

"You will never speak to my sister again, Berbrooke." Anthony told him. After he instructed his younger brother to go dance it's their sister Anthony had made his way to the refreshments table with The Duke, starting an unpleasant conversation with him until Lord Berbrook decided to step in.

"But we are to be married." Nigel exclaimed.

"You are to be buried if you so much as look in her direction. Be grateful you will not take a punch
from yet another Bridgerton." Anthony said while dangerously walking towards him.

"Gentlemen, is everything alright?" Aelianna asked as she stepped into the argument. Softly holding into Anthony's arm who was clearly tense. "Let's go." She whispered. Leaving the behind the Duke and Lord Berbrook.

"What has happened? Brother?" Daphne asked when she reach Aelianna and Anthony leaving the conversation.

"You need not worry about Berbrooke. Sister, it is done." He sighed deeply, Aelianna giving her a small smile and taking him to the other side of the room for him to calm down. Benedict watching from a side.

"Here." Aelianna said while giving Anthony a cup of champagne and a biscuit. "You need to relax Viscount Bridgerton."

"I'm fine." He responded trying to not look at Elia.

"You are not, drink and eat this." She said. "It would help you calm yourself down."

After leaving Anthony Bridgerton with something to eat and drink, Elia decided to return to Her Papa's side but bumping into Benedict before reaching her Papa.

"A crush of an evening don't you think." Benedict joked about the sudden heated conversation the three men including his brother had.

"Indeed." She giggled. "I did have the time to meet your brother. I hope he drinks and eats the refreshments and gave him. If you'll excuse me." She finished, continuing her way pass him.

"I was looking for you all night." Benedict responded.

"Maybe you didn't look enough for you to find me." She whispered. "I was near the entrance all along, Lord Bridgerton." With a quick smile she walked away and a confused Benedict was left behind.