-Chap: 5

I accidentally found two decent dresses in the cupboard of my doppelganger, which came as a surprise to me. But later found out by Jake, they were gifted by Mom to her. Moving my fingers gently over the skirt, I smoothed the creases, which developed as I sat on the dining table eating breakfast with my not-so-real family.

"Esme, Jake, your dad came to visit yesterday evening." Mom said hesitantly, fidgeting in her seat, kind eyes looking between Jake and me.

"What does he want?" Jake asked hands closed into a fist beside his plate as he clenched his teeth.

"Money." She said, looking down and a look of guilt crossed her face.

"And you gave him! How many times have I stopped you not to give him any penny!" Jake shouted in anger, eyes glaring at his mom.

"Jake, there must be a reason she did it. Stop shouting at her," I said softly. Looking at my doppelganger mom who was crying silently, although she was not my real mother but seeing her cry made my heart squeeze painfully.

"You don't know anything!" Jake yelled back at me and walked out of the house and, on his way out, slammed the door so hard that the windows rattled.

I heard loud sobs, which led my attention back to her.

I need to handle the situation.

"Eleanor and Maxwell, please take your food in on your room. I have to talk to Mommy." I said, caressing their heads as their big doe eyes looked at me in worry. Nodding their heads, they left the kitchen.

Walking towards her, I sat on an empty seat and just looked at her. Her hair was messy, and a light purple bruise was forming on her wrist as she was trying to hide, but my hawk-like eyes saw it beforehand.

"What happened?" I whispered, my voice soft as fur

"The usual." She said, clearing her thoughts, her fragile fingers wiping her torn face.

I pursed my lips at that. If I asked what was usual, it would cause some problems, so to prevent that, I kept quiet and decided to ask Jake what the real deal was. Saying goodbye to her, I walked out of the house and made my way towards my workplace. Throughout my work time, I kept thinking about my plan. I need to work fast and go back home but for that I need money. A few people swing by the shop, I assisted a few women in choosing their dresses and got praised by them for helping them choose a good dress.

Sighing, my feet carried me out of the building after I was done with my job today, not feeling like going home. I decided to explore the city- San Scent, in which I was currently living and which didn't exist in my world. The city was full of greenery and a peaceful environment.

Just my type.

Letting my hair loose as the soft chilly breeze caressed my skin, making my insides filled with giddiness. I walked down the stony path that lay in between rows of large bulky trees leading towards the lake. I walked towards a bench, which was the only empty bench available. I moved my legs faster to reach it before anyone could take it, but just my luck. As I fastened my pace, a man in a midnight blue shirt came out of nowhere and sat down with one leg propped up onto the other. Sighing, I hesitantly walked towards him.

I stopped a step away from it and looked at the man who had his eyes closed. Brown hair was a bit messy, but it only added to his beauty. Then I realized.

He was the guy from the Coffeeshop who saved my life!

"What are you looking at?" His silky voice reached my ears, making me snap from my dreamland. He looked at me with an expressionless face.