Chapter 23

Jade 

The rest of that day was terrible. The only good part was getting to see the swim tryouts and that didn't happen until the very end of the day. 

We had just finished school 

"Alright, munchkins, up against the side of the pool," Coach Lucks barked. In unison, six boys - including Percy and Aiden lined up against the side of the pool. 

"Jade, come on," Morgan said. To my dismay, he grabbed my wrist and dragged me over to the top row in the bleachers. 

"Hey guys," Morgan grinned. I looked at who he was talking to, and my face dropped. Sat on the bench was Annabeth, Thalia, Clarrisse, Chris, Travis, Connor, Katie and some gothic boy who I'd never seen before, 

"Jade, Morgan, this is Nico," Said Thalia - gesturing to her genderbend douppelganger - the gothic boy. 

I nodded and he didn't even look at me. What a jerk. I sat down on the bench, right next to Annabeth and Morgan. This was the most uncomfortable situation I had ever been in and it was about to get a lot worse. 

"Okay, listen up munchkins," Lucks roared, "You will each swim four lengths of the pool: front stroke, back stroke, butterfly and freestyle. Provided he doesn't finish first, Aiden will race against the person to finish first, seeing as he is last years captain," 

Annabeth laughed from beside me. I turned my head to look at her, 

"What's so funny?" I asked suspiciously. Annabeth just shook her head. 

"Inside joke," She told me. I scowled. Of course she and Percy would have inside jokes. 

At that moment, Coach blew his whistle, and the boys dove into the pool. 

"Go Percy!" Morgan yelled! I had to stifle my laugh. 

"You're acting like Percy's cheerleader, Morgan," I said and he blushed and mumbled something into his lap. #I brushed it off but I noticed that Annabeth hadn't. She looked at him, frowning, and then seemed to come to some sort of conclution. 

Morgan looked t her sheepihly and a silent conversation seemed to pass between them. When he looked guilty and she looked knowing. What was going on? 

Just then, there was a large cheer for the front of the bleachers. I looked over to the pool and saw that Percy had just stepped out of the pool - man that boy can swim! 

(Oh Honey, you don't even know the half of it!) 

Coach didn't even notice anything, that is - until - Aiden got out of the pool, 

"Well, I guess our team captain stays the same this year," He said, and then he saw Percy. Before he could correct his mistake however, the entire row of girls at the front stood up and began roaring at him - I'm ashamed to say that I did too. 

Coach blew sharply on his whistle. I didn't actually hear the sound due to everyone screaming, but I knew that he'd called for silence. 

"Yes, as you have all so clearly told me, Percy finished first," He said drily, "Okay boys, time for a race," He turned toward Percy and Aiden and they both nodded - Aiden looking particularly sour. 

Boys boys made their way over to the end of the pool and got into diving positions. 

"How dies Percy look so relaxed?" I whispered to Morgan. I heard a snicker and looked up to see Annabeth and her whole group sharing looks. I rolled my eyes. This girl was really starting to piss me off, and then I remembered the 'Annabeth go bye-bye plan'. 

After Percy had agreed to run for captain, Charlotte had approached me and told me what we were going to do. I was not hesitant in my response whatsoever. All I had to do was wait for 'the signal' from Charlotte to put it into action.

That was when coach blew his whistle. Aiden was quick off the mark, but Percy was faster. He dove into the pool with brilliant accuracy and began to swim at an alarming rate, 

"Percy!" Annabeth called. His head shot up, but he didn't stop swimming. I was honestly convinced that his arms were going to fall off. Annabeth wrinkled her nose and he nodded and slowed down, still way ahead of Aiden. 

It was about one minute before Aiden finished that Percy emerged from the pool. His hair was hung in adorable curls around his face and his sea green eyes were sparkling. 

That's when everything went wrong. 

Charlotte Pretsy started squealing at the top of her voice and jumped out of her seat. She practically sprinted across the room towards Percy - the click clack of her high heels echoing through the hall. 

When she reached him, she flung her arms around his neck and started to prattle on about how amazing he was. 

From beside me, Annabeth stood up, her fists in a ball. As she stepped past her group of innate friends, they did nothing to stop her - instead, they looked a little scared. 

When she reached Percy and Charlotte, she tapped the orange barbie doll on the shoulder. Following pursuit, Thalia, me, Morgan and practically everyone else got up to join them. 

"Can I help you?" I heard Charlotte say as she loosened her grip on Percy and turned to face Annabeth. 

For a few seconds, Annabeth stayed deadly silent. She continued to stare at Charlotte, and Charlotte almost managed to return the harsh gaze. 

Once the eariness seemed to have subsided, Annabeth stepped around Charotte, but not before Charlotte had time to stick out her leg. 

Apparently, Annabeth had seen this coming, because she sprang over it and hooked her foot around Charlottes ankle, leaving Charlotte to fall face first into the pool. 

As she did, the water around her seemed to turn orange at her spray tan, 

"Oops," Annabeth shrugged. Behind her, Percy bit his lip smiling. Eventually, Charlotte's head came above the surface and her arms were flailing around. 

Percy and Annabeth shared a look. Annabeth rolled her eyes and nodded. Percy dove into the pool and came up with  Charlotte in his arms and he dumped her onto the pool side. 

"Is she breathing?" One of her minions shrieked, as she waddled over to her side. Percy shook his head as if to say 'I don't know'. 

Meanwhile, Coach was busy not helping an was instead watching the whole scene from behind his newspaper, clearly bemused. 

"You have to give her mouth to mouth, Percy!" The same minion cried, 

Percy looked at her guiltily before hovering his ear above Charlotte's mouth. 

"She's not breathing," He said aloud. Everyone immediately gasped and Coach stood up. Annabeth scowled,