New Friends

"What if they're scared of me?"

The Quinjet was parked in a back cornfield of the Barton Farm. Clint had already left to greet his family, however, Wanda hesitated at the door off the plane.

"Wanda, they won't be. I can promise you that Lila and Cooper are so excited to meet you. Laura has been texting me non-stop that those kids have been bouncing off the walls."

Wanda didn't know what that meant, but she wasn't in the mood to ask. She assumed that by Nat's tone of voice it meant something good.

Wanda shoved her hands into Nat's red leather jacket she was wearing. She insisted on keeping it on over top of her T-shirt and shorts, even though it was thirty degrees outside.

"Do they know I have powers? That I hurt you and the rest of the Avengers? I don't think they'll want to play with me if they know what I did."

Nat took her hand. "Laura has talked with them. They know your story, probably not in full details, but it definitely hasn't changed the fact that they want to meet you so badly."

Wanda nodded.

Just as they were about to leave the plane, a small girl peeked her head around the corner.

She was wearing a pink sundress with cowboy boots, and she too had French braids in her hair.

"Auntie Nat!" She bounded towards Natasha, and Wanda took a hazardous step back. She really didn't trust anyone, not even a little girl her age.

"Hi, Lila!" She picked the little girl up in her arms and spun her around. Lila laughed.

"Wanda, this is Lila, Clint's daughter," Nat said, putting Lila back on the ground.

Wanda smiled shyly, hesitantly stepping up in front of Nat, who put her hands on her shoulders.

"Hi, Wanda! Do you want to come and see all of the animals? We have chickens and dogs and even ponies!"

Wanda smiled. "You have horses?"

"Yeah! Let's go, come on!" Lila grabbed her hand to pull her away, but Nat stopped her. Wanda was thankful.

"Woah, Lila. I know you're excited, but don't you think she should meet your mom and brothers first?"

Lila pouted.

Nat grabbed Wanda's hand and they walked off the ramp together, with Lila running ahead.

"Mommy! Cooper! They're here!" Lila said, running to Laura, who had baby Nate in her arms.

Laura handed Nathaniel to Clint and jogged over to Nat.

"I missed you!" Laura said to Nat. Wanda felt awkward standing off to the side. As Nat replied and they had their boring adult conversation, Wanda took a moment to look around. There was a white farmhouse and a barn, and a pasture off to the side. In the pasture were a few horses. One was a little pony, and the others were bigger. Wanda caught herself smiling at them.

Nat snapped her out of her thoughts.

"Wanda, this is Laura, Clint's wife." She pointed to a boy a few years older than her. He had dark hair and a bright, friendly smile. "And this is Coop!"

She gave a quiet and timid hello and turned her attention back to the horses nearby.

Nat gave a small smile to Laura. She's getting there. She mouthed to Laura and Cooper. They nodded, understanding.

Lila appeared at Wanda's side.

"Do you want to go and see all of the animals now? We can start with the horses!" Lila had so much excitement, it scared Wanda. Quite frankly, all she wanted to do was keep hold of Nat's hand and stare at the horses from a distance, but clearly, both Lila and Nat had other ideas.