Pinky Promises

"Hey, Romanoff, Rogers, I'm glad I caught you two." Tony jogged up to the couple, who had just finished a morning jog. It was the day after they came home from the Barton Farm, and the day before Wanda started her first day of grade three.

"Here," He said, handing a small stack of papers to Nat.

"What are these?" Nat took them, sifting through the pile. Her eyes lit up when she realised what they were. "You got them!" She smiled at Tony.

"That I did." He patted Nat on the shoulder before heading out to leave. Steve looked confused.

"Good luck, you two."

"Wait," Nat caught his arm before he headed to the door. "Don't say anything to Wanda, Tony. We want to tell her."

Tony nodded. "Will do. Or don't, whatever." He gave a quick wave.

Steve looked over her shoulder, still as confused as before.

"Sorry, did I miss something? What are we not telling Wanda?"

Nat handed him the papers.

"They're the court date for Wanda's adoption hearing. Tony put your name on it, too. I think he just assumed, but I understand if-"

"Nat, are you kidding?" He said, interrupting her before she could get the rest of her sentence out. "I'm so excited to officially be a family." He wrapped her in a hug.

"You know, if you would've told me, five, six months ago, that you and I would be adopting an eight-year-old kid, I would've called you absolutely crazy." Nat said, laughing.

"I would've called myself crazy before you've gotten the chance to," He said, leaning down to kiss her. He pulled away smiling. "But I wouldn't trade it for the world."

Nat grinned back.

"Me neither," She grabbed his hand. "Now let's go tell our daughter the news."

...

"Whatcha doing, Wanda?" Nat asked, taking a seat at the kitchen table across from Wanda, who had a colouring book and crayons in front of her.

"Look!" Wanda held the colouring book out to her parents. "Tony gave me a colouring book, and it has you in it. I gave you purple hair, Mama." She laughed, and so did Steve, who took a seat beside Nat.

"That's nice, malyshka! Guess what? We have some exciting news."

Wanda shut the book to give her parents her full attention.

"What is it? Do I not have to go to school?" She asked excitedly. In a way, it was meant to be a joke, despite the fact she was quite nervous to start the next day.

Nat rolled her eyes playfully.

"Sorry, honey. You're still going to school, it's not up for discussion. But why don't you take a look at this?" Nat said, handing her the adoption form.

"What is it?"

"I think you were asleep when Tony and I discussed this when you first came to live with me, but I had to sign a form to be your temporary guardian until an adoption date could be set. Well, now we have one set, so you officially become our daughter next month. All three of us have to take a trip into the city to sign the forms."

"All of us? Steve too?" Wanda asked, her smile wide.

Steve nodded, slightly confused. A fear prodded at the back of his brain that she maybe didn't want him to be her dad.