Compromises

Nat sat down beside a sleeping Wanda.

"Wake up, milaya," She whispered, brushing the hair off her daughter's forehead. "First day of school, are you excited?"

Wanda rolled over, grunting in response.

"Come on, malyshka, you gotta wake up or you're gonna be late. Your dad made you a special breakfast."

Wanda sat up, rubbing her eyes, and hopped off the bed.

Nat pulled a sundress out of her closet and grabbed the hairbrush from her dresser.

"Here, sweetie. Turn around." Nat said, proceeding to brush her hair into two braids. Nat could feel the nervous energy radiating off of Wanda.

"You don't have to be nervous, milaya," She continued. "You're going to have so much fun."

Nat kissed the top of her head, tying the second braid off with a hairband.

"You look beautiful, Wanda." She said, smiling at her daughter.

Wanda's face fell.

"What if they don't like me, Mama?"

Nat grabbed her shoulders.

"Who wouldn't like you, Wanda? You're smart and kind, and you've got such a big heart. Your classmates would be crazy if they didn't want to be your friend."

Wanda smiled, thankful for the confidence booster.

Nat gestured to the pink sundress on her bed.

"Now get dressed and meet us downstairs. Maybe grab a sweater, too. I don't know how cold it is outside."

So she did, and when she came downstairs, pretty much the whole team was in the kitchen. Steve and Clint both stood at the stove, fighting over who's pancake flip is the best. Tony, Bruce, and Rhodey sat at the counter, flipping through their tablets, discussing the newest tech in Stark Industries. And Sam was stuffing his face with pancakes.

"There's the baby witch! Are you excited for your first day?" Tony asked, noticing her quietly appear in the hallway.

Wanda nodded, taking a seat

"Look what I found at the store the other day," Nat handed her a brand new backpack. On it was different coloured horses. "All your shirts are sold out, by the way, Steve."

Steve turned around, rolling his eyes playfully.

Wanda grinned, a silent thank you for her mother. Inside was a matching lunch box and pencil case.

Steve set a plate of pancakes in front of her.

"Eat up, kiddo."

She didn't really have an appetite, but she managed to eat enough to make her parents happy.

When it was time to go, they all wished her a good first day, and she believed them. Wanda gave herself a mental pat on the back. She didn't even feel nervous. Yet.

Then the whole car ride there, she had butterflies in her stomach, except, it felt like the butterflies were rabid, and tearing out her insides. She didn't understand why she was feeling this way, though. It was just school; something pretty much all kids her age went through. She had been through much worse.

Wanda didn't even notice when they pulled in.

Nat reached back to give her a kiss goodbye.

"Have the best day, malyshka. And remember, if you need anything, just tell Miss Peterson. She can call us right away."