Wanda the Saviour, Again

The next morning, when Wanda and Nat walked into the medical wing of the lab, Nat had stopped Wanda before she opened the door.

Nat squeezed her shoulder, bending down to look Wanda in her eyes, which were filled with determination.

"Wanda, I'm serious. If you don't want to do this, no one is making you. I don't want you to get hurt, milaya. We can find another way."

Even Wanda knew that wasn't true. She shook her head.

"This is the only way. I heard Dr. Cho yesterday. I can do it, Nat. I know I can. I think Steve is lost in his head somewhere, and he can't get out."

Nat nodded, standing up. It was a weird way of putting it, but it definitely made sense.

When they got to where Steve usually was, both Wanda and Nat panicked. Steve's bed was empty.

A nurse noticed their faces.

"They moved him to another room with more advanced neurological testing."

Nat sighed in relief. She had thought the worst.

The nurse gave an apologetic smile.

"I'm sorry. Someone probably should've told you. Let me show you where he is."

They headed down the hall, and the nurse scanned a key card to unlock the door.

"Here you are, and Dr. Cho or Bruce should be here soon if one isn't already."

The nurse turned to Wanda.

"Dr. Cho told me what you're going to do, Wanda. Good luck sweetie, and just know you are very brave."

Wanda nodded shyly. She didn't really think so.

The nurse headed away, grabbing a clipboard on her way out.

Wanda sat on the end of Steve's bed. She couldn't help it, but her nervousness caused a thin red fog to envelope her hands. She quickly hid them behind her back while she gained control.

Nat wasn't even looking at her, but she could tell Wanda was hiding her magic. She didn't say anything.

They sat in silence, both staring at Steve, lifeless on the bed. He was looking paler each day, and the bruises and marks from the explosion were only fading slowly.

Wanda began to doubt herself. She had been convincing Nat for the past 24 hours that she could do it, but what if she actually couldn't? What if he was gone for good? Would Nat resent her if she couldn't bring him back? She couldn't possibly...

Nat could tell Wanda was thinking hard. It didn't take a mind reader to understand she was doubting herself. She motioned Wanda over to her and took her hands in hers.

"What are you thinking, milaya?"

Wanda looked to Steve, then back to Nat, blinking tears out of her worried eyes.

"What-What if I can't do it? I know I said I could. But what if I hurt him even more?"

Nat sighed, pulling the child onto her lap.

"маленькая ведьма, you are the toughest kid I know. I want you to know that. I've only known you for a month and you've already saved the Avengers twice."

Nat stroked her hair and brushed a tear off of her cheek.

"All of us understand that this might not work. No one is holding that against you. And no one is making you do this. It doesn't make you less brave or strong, and it doesn't mean I love you any less."