6𝐭𝐡 𝐩𝐞𝐭𝐚𝐥

Soleil grumbled in his sleep, his eyelashes fluttering like a butterfly's wings as he squinted his lids open. He was awoken by the noise that was coming from outside the cave. It resembled how chickens would wildly bicker at each other. By the tone of the voices, he already knew who these chickens were. Adan and Cali had been arguing with each other for nearly an hour and he had been repeatedly woken up, seeing the same scene in front of him. Their voice were louder than the sound of the water crashing down from the waterfall, though it would soon minimize into sickeningly quiet whispers once they would see him waking up from his slumber.

He stood up groggily from his makeshift bed, his face forming into a scowl out of annoyance and irritation at the men's demeanour. He understood that the person he had encountered in the spring earlier must be one of the pursuers or even hunters that Adan had told him about, what drove him to the edge of his frustration is that they're seemingly been leaving him out of their discussion.

He moved closer to the both of them, as sneakily as he could as he wanted to hear what the two were talking about. ❝I suggest you and Soleil would leave the cave later, and probably go back to Mereille. I'll stay here and investigate further. If I happen to run into another one of them, then that would be preferable. I can eliminate them, if I can't, then I'll be able stall enough time for you to go back to Mereille safely.❞

❝Are you out of your mind?If anyone of us is leaving, then all of us will go as well. We can't let what happened 16 years ago happen again. What if we lose you?What if I die amidst the escape?What if we lose Soleil?❞

❝What if the three of us don't survive?Do you think escaping with each other is the best way?We don't know what they're capable of, given that we've been in hiding for too long.❞ His voice raised a bit, his eyes narrowing, attempting to persuade and silence Cali in which he successfully did. Not another word was spilled by Cali at Adan's reply. He sighed and looked down, disheartened and frustrated at his lover's reply.

They were too focused on the heated argument to notice Soleil who was already lurking behind their back, all eyes and ears.

❝If we lose you..If I lose you, I wouldn't know what to do.❞ Cali choked up in a quieter manner, and his tone was almost intimate. Adan held both of Adan's hand similar to how one would hold a delicate flower. ❝You have to trust me.❞ Adan smiled softly. No wonder they've been arguing so much... Soleil thought, a ghost of a smile appearing on his lips.

Adan was about to peer over to Cali to embrace him but Soleil spoke up, ❝There won't be anymore arguments now, will there be?❞ Soleil chuckled. The two looked at him, surprised, both of their faces were swiftly dusted by dusts of pink, flustered.

❝How long have you been there?❞ Adan asked.

❝Long enough to know what's really going on between the both of you. Don't worry, I'm good at keeping secrets.❞ The younger male smiled.

Other than one of the reasons being their gender, both Adan and Cali believed that fulfilling their duties as Soleil's guardians would be affected badly once they'll let their feelings towards each other affect their decisions freely and constantly. Resulting to their intimacy being hidden from even the people who have the closest relationship to them.

❝I apologize we haven't told you about it.❞Cali spoke up, still under a flustered state.

❝No worries, I understand. We all have our reasons to begin with.❞ He winked, revealing that he was aware of something deeper.

This world wasn't a fairytale. Whenever nor wherever, you can't expect every princess to fall into the arms of a prince she encounters, you can't expect a princess to just sit there waiting for a knight to save her when she wants to save herself. Rather, expecting a prince to fall for his knight would seem much more realistic in this odd world.