Chapter 24: Trust

(Ash's P.O.V.)

"So, are you going to tell me or not?" I asked, pulling the towel Peter had whipped up out of thin air closer to me. I watched as he paced back and forth, running his hands through his messy brown hair, every once and while glancing at me in exasperation. "Peter!"

"I can't, Ash. I'd be putting you in danger!" He yelled. His green eyes blazing as he met my gaze.

"And by not telling me, you're still putting me in danger. Yes, I am remembering, but I don't know when and what I will remember," I said, standing up from the log. "You are the one that wanted me to stay on Neverland. To be by your side. How do you expect me to do that when you refuse to trust me?"

"You already know too much Ash! I shared everything with you when you were younger! Secrets that could destroy everything! Secrets that put you in danger last time! I can't make the same mistake twice!"

"I'm going to remember them anyways Peter! Why prolong it anymore than you already have? I'm always going to be in danger no matter what you do. So, why don't you tell me about the heart of the truest believer first."

"Ash-"

"Peter. I need to know."

"I need the heart of the truest believer to stay alive. That's all."

"That's not just it. Why? Why do you need that boy's heart?"

"Ash," he growled as if warning me not to question him any further about the topic.

"It'd be better if you just told me because we both know that I'm not going to stop until I find out what's going on. One way or another, Peter, I will find out why you need the heart of truest believer."

"I know, and that's why I need you to understand that this is the best way to protect you for now."

I stared at Peter in confusion until he whistled and several lost boys appeared, running out from the trees. The hoods on their cloaks falling to reveal their messy hair and dirty faces. Felix was the last one to show up as he took his time walking towards me as he grabbed both my arms and held them in one hand with a firm grip.

"I thought you said you trusted me!" I yelled at him, seeing the pain in his eyes.

"This is for the best, Ash. You'll understand when the time is right. I promise."

"Don't make promises you can't keep Peter," I said coldly as his eyes widened slightly, and his mouth dropped open.

He clamped his mouth shut, eyes turned a shade darker, cold, and distant, jaw clenched as he no longer resembled the Peter I cared for, but was back to being Pan in that instance. His lips formed into a wicked smirk as he stepped closer to me, lifting my face up to meet his.

"I do hate doing this to you Ash, really, but...you always seem to be in dire needs of being taught a lesson. It's been a while since you've been in one of cages hasn't it?" He paused slightly to glance up at Felix before looking down at me. "Back to your cage Ash. You'll be staying there until you've learned to respect me." He dropped my chin before Felix pushed me into the direction of the camp.

"Peter! You can't do this!" I yelled, twisting around to see him watching me.

"I can do whatever I want, laddie. I'm the King!"

"Shut up now before you make matters worse," Felix whispered, leading me deeper into the jungle before releasing me. I spinned around to face him only to find him glancing around with a knife in hand.

"You-You're not taking me to the cages?" I asked in disbelief.

"You are going to go to the cages eventually. I'm not normally one for disobeying Pan's orders. Just know that all he's doing is to protect you. He cares about you a lot, more than anyone."