Chapter 26: Faith, Trust, and Pixie Dust

(Ash’s P.O.V)

     “Come on Ash, it’s easy!” Pan shouted, as he dragged me towards one of the openings of the rock, despite all my complains about not wanting to learn how to fly. He was determined though, and he wasn’t going to stop until he had his way.

     “No. It’s not! I’m quite sure of that!”

     “All you have to do is have faith, trust, and a little bit of pixie dust. Which I have, right here,” he said pulling out a vile of pixie dust attached to a string that you would place over your neck.

     “Why do I have to learn how to fly? That’s your specialty, not mine.”

     “Remember how I told you that the pixie dust could help you escape if necessary?” He paused, allowing me to nod before continuing. “You need to know how to fly and believe in the dust in order for that to work. I just have to get you to believe.”

     “About that. I’ve thought about if that ever happened, and I don’t want to have to run. I know how to fight, Peter. I can use that to my advantage over whoever tries to go after me because I’m with you.”

     “And they have magic, Ash. You’re no match for that. That’s why I’m trying to give you your best chance at having some magic that you can use to get away from them. That’s just the backup plan. They won’t find you. I’ll make sure of it. Just trust me on this. Please.”

     I looked away from him, wondering what he meant by that. That they won’t find me. How would he do that? I knew he was the King of this island and had powers far beyond my understanding, but he wouldn’t be able to hide me from them if they found me physically without magic. Besides, he would need all his magic to help him in whatever battle might happen. He didn’t need to waste it on hiding me especially when I could fight and protect myself

     Was I able to convince him of that? Nope! He was so stubborn and really protective. I admired and despised that about him. I would just have to prove it to him. If I could take him down with him using magic and going at me like he would an attacker, he just might let me help.

     “I’ll do it if you let me show you that I can easily take down someone with magic. That person being you, and you can’t take it easy on me.”

     “Ash-”

     “No. I’m serious, Peter. If I can’t beat you, I’ll gladly do as you say. If I can, I want to fight alongside you and the lost boys. That’s my deal. What do you say?”

     I watched as he ran his right hand through his hair in exasperation. His glowing green eyes looked over me with a painful expression in them. He hated what I was offering him. I knew it. He had to know that if he didn’t take my offer that I would do whatever I wanted anyways. I could see it in his eyes before he turned away from me and leaned onto one of the rock walls, looking out into the view from one of the openings of the skull.

     I opened my mouth to say something before shutting it. He needed space to think about it, and I had to give him that. I needed the time too. Just a few minutes ago, he had practically showed me his memory of him abandoning his own child. It was strange seeing that and finding out that he wasn’t actually the Peter I had grown to know. It was hard to even contemplate the fact that he had a son and that he needed a child’s heart to stay alive forever,

     I honestly couldn’t decide if I was glad or not that he had shown me that part of his past. Seeing made it a lot easier to believe something instead of just hearing it. Would I have believed in it if he had just told me? Probably not. It didn’t seem like it would be true, but it was. He had trusted me enough to do this for me, even though I must have asked him a billion times.