16.

Two weeks. Two weeks since any breathing Asgaudian has seen Lady Beyla. She keeps the chamber locked, screams all night, sleeps the entire day. Frigga tries to enter her room every hour, getting rejected each time. "She's killing herself." Frigga sighs at the table with her husband and son. "She's not eating. Not talking to anyone." "She has to push through," Odin says mindlessly. "She is family, father. Should she not know the truth?" "The truth is a danger to her." Frigga slams her hands on the long table. "SHE IS DYING!"

Odin stares up at his family. "Then she needs to grow up. The way she is acting is no way for a Queen to behave." Thor stands up sharply, pointing a finger at his father. "You are a cold-hearted, old man." He leaves the table, wandering down the halls.

As he comes close to Beyla's door he hears her scattering and mumbling. "No, no, no, no. I should've... no it's wrong. This one..."  Thor knocks softly. "Beyla. May I come in?" Silence. Dead silent. Thor sighs before walking past. As he continues, he hears the door creak the slightest inch. "Thor," Beyla says weakly. He rushes back to her and steps inside her room.

"Oh, Beyla." He scoops her up hugging her tightly. She doesn't even flinch at the strength. He pulls back taking in her appearance. The pure glow from her skin is dull, almost grey in color. Her eyes are sunken as if she hasn't rested in years. "You don't have to tell me, Thor." He steps back shaking his head. "I wasn't." The silence grows between them. This person feels like a stranger to him. He takes notice of her chest, narrowing his eyes. A dark spot on her skin, above her heart, is present. It's spreading up her neck.

Beyla sighs, moving to look out her window. In the light, she looks like a skeleton with a sheet of paper. "You know you can die of a broken heart. Most people don't believe me, but it's true." a tear slips from her eyes. Her natural state now. Spellbooks scattered all over the room. Each page on the subject recreation, time travel, rising the dead.

"Beyla. When I knock will you please let me in?" She continues to search out the window for nothing. "I suppose so." He wraps his hand around the golden knob. "I will be back."

"Okay," She speaks in a dazed voice.

~

"Drink, sweetie," Frigga says passing the gauntlet to me. "I can't find a spell." She nods. "You won't find one. Not one that will do what you ask. Eat." Frigga shoves the meal on my lap. "I'm not leaving until it's gone."

"I'm not a child anymore, Frigga."
"No, but you're unhealthy. Eat."

I pick apart the meal slowly, only eating less than half. "I feel sick." Frigga nods, pulling my shirt collar away. The dark discoloration upon my skin reaches the end of my collar bones now. "Good. That's fading." Frigga clears her throat awkwardly.

"He was sorry. He told me himself." Frigga swallows her voice. "I... I know, Beyla."

I look out to the gardens; the green bustle of bushes that once looked so alive looks worn and deprived. "My plants are dying." I look down at my hands, little speckles of gray have started to cover my fingertips. "So am I."  I knew Loki and I were connected deeply. Our souls are bound by touch. I look below my window, a window placed at great altitude indeed. I smile looking at the golden ground far from me. "I will see him again."

I said I would follow him, and I am a lady of my word.

~

I slap the book shut, setting it aside with the others. "Finished already?" Mother asks me from the corner. "After the tenth time, it becomes routine." I sit on the bed running my hands over my head. "Ask me." Mother says sitting on the bed. I scoff, "Ask you what?" Her smile softens as she speaks, "About your wife, son."

I shake my head. "I don't need to ask you. I hear her. Constantly searching for some spell, potion, help, anything. I hear her scream at night. I feel her pain in my chest."

Frigga nods, "She's not well."

"Blame the Allfather."

~

I watch the sunset, and the moon climbs to the highest point before feeling the time was right. Loki and I would always sneak off on nights such as this. The air warm as it kissed your cheeks. I open my windows wide, as far as they would go. Fresh air never smelt better. I take a step on the ledge, looking down, feeling peace. I look at the moon as it kisses the top of the sky. Asgard silent in the night. I relax my head, closing my eyes, and raising my arms at my side. "I'm on my way, Love."

I let myself lean forward gracefully. The wind against my face, the relaxation at mind. It's all pulled away when my arm is caught. "WHAT ARE YOU DOING?" Thor screams at me. He hulls my body upward. "Beyla." He cries against me. I try to crawl back to the window fiercely. "Stop it." I struggle against him as he sobs. "Mother! Father!"

I scream, thrashing in his arms. "LET ME GO!"

~

Frigga and Odin burst into the room. "Oh, my gods!" Frigga gasps as she witnesses her daughter-in-law thrashing on the floor, looking deranged, sickly. "Father, do something. Please."

Odin looks at the girl feeling sick. Had he caused this? Beyla was always full of life, now she's drowning in her veins. Odin rests his hand on her forehead. Beyla lays limply, now mumbling nonsense words as she sleeps. Thor rests her in the bed, Frigga locks the windows, and Odin stares at Beyla in surprise. "What was she doing?"

Thor wipes his eyes viciously. "She was going to kill herself." Odin looks at the child again. "Guards. Keep outside the door, keep it cracked. Have a lady in waiting watch over her until she is healed." He leaves stricken with guilt. The Allfather had put her in such a position.