39

The TVA archives sit in the middle rage of the World. I look around as Loki drags my arm. We stop at a table filled with files. "I need you two to go over every one of the Variant's case files, and then, give me your... How do I put it? Your unique Loki perspective. And who knows? Maybe there's something that we missed." I raise my brow, picking up one of the files. "You're trying to waste our time." Mobius points his finger at me. "Use that focus on this." Loki picks up a file turning to Mobius, "Well, you're idiots. I suspect." "That's why I'm lucky I got you two for a little bit longer. And don't be afraid to really lean into this work. Here's a good trick for you. Pretend your life depends on it. I'm gonna get a snack."

Loki and I sit next to each other looking over each file one by one. Loki puts another down as I begin my third. "You read too fast." He hides his smile, "You read too slow." I wack his arm with he failed.

Loki gasps dramatically, "Oh, my goodness. Don't tell me the Variant ambushed and killed another team of Minutemen." I follow along pointing a the info in the file, "And stole their reset charge as well. What are we going to do?" We cut up in laughter. "SHHH." Loki and I turn around at the same time glaring at the woman, "SHHHHHH!" We reply to her. Loki puts down the file and stands up, "This is rubbish. I'm going to look for something helpful." I flip the page of my folder. "You do that, honey."

~

I approach the archivist's desk where she's typing. "Hi." She continues typing. "Hello?" She continues typing. I ring the bell on her desk. She stops and looks at me. "Can I help you?"

"Yes. I'm on some important TVA business. Follow-up to a field mission. You know how it goes. We red lined near the apex, and... Well, it's never good. Um, I'd like all files pertaining to the creation of the TVA, please." She tilts her head bored. "Those are classified."

"Okay. I'd like all files pertaining to the beginning of time then."

"Those are classified." "Okay, the end of time."

"Those are classified." I close my eyes in frustration, "Okay, what files can I have?" In the stacks, the archivists pulls out a file and hands it to me. It's filed on variant L1130 - myself. "Happy reading."

I sigh returning to the desk. "Woah," Beyla says as she notices the stack. I pull up the file on the Destruction of Asgard. Total planetary destruction. 9,719 casualties. Entire civilization annihilated. Zero variance energy detected. Zero energy detected...

I grab the file and rush to Mobius. "Loki! Wait!" "SHHHH!" Beyla turns around yelling, "SHHH YOURSELF!" We both run to Mobius in the lunchroom.

Loki slams the file in front of Mobius. He looks at us mid bite. "I found something." Mobius shakes his head, "No, I said, Don't bother me until you've read all the files." Loki nods his head, "I have." Mobius' eyes widen in unbelief, and doubt all at once, "Every file?" "Yes." Mobius looks at me, "Seriously?" I nod, "He's a fast reader." Mobius sighs, "Pertaining to the Variant?" Loki moves the file around, "The answer isn't in the files, it's on the timeline. He's hiding in apocalypses." Mobius narrows his eyes, "Which apocalypse? Any time in history, there's, like, a million of 'em."

"Ragnarok. Are you familiar?" Cold blood runs in my veins. I shake my head. That's what caused us to leave Asgard, to board the ship, to get murdered. "The destruction of Asgard and most of its people. I'm sorry." I wave my hand. "It was going to happen one day."

Loki started again, "Nexus events happen when someone does something they're not supposed to do, right?"

"Well, it's a little more complicated, but, yeah."

"Great. And then that thing they're not supposed to do, cascades into a whole range of other things that aren't supposed to happen. And so on and so forth, until eventually, a new timeline branches. Yes?" Mobius teeters his head, "Chaotic alterations of a predetermined outcome." Loki grins, "Exactly. So, let's just say..." Loki reaches across the table and snatches Mobius' salad. "What are you doing?"