4.

We all enter the Observatory and step onto a platform. Heimdall climbs into the large control apparatus at the center of the room and readies the Observatory.

"Be warned. I will honor my sworn oath to protect this Realm as its Gatekeeper. If your return threatens the safety of Asgard, Bifrost will remain closed to you. You'll be left to die in the cold wastes of Jotunheim." I look at Loki who is already gazing at me. He grabs my hand nodding. "Everything is going to be fine."

"The Bifrost energy quickens along the Bridge, feeding into the Observatory. Heimdall turns his sword in the control panel. The giant turret swings around aims toward a section of space. As a final step, Heimdall plunges his sword deeper into the control panel. The great turret blasts, the Rainbow light of the Bifrost energy blasts out of it. The Bifrost opens at the end of the platform. Thor starts towards the Bifrost, turns back to us grinning.

🌿

"We shouldn't be here," I say as I plant my feet on the icy surface. "Too late now."

"Actually, it's not. We could turn right around, hop back to Asgard, share a mug by the fire. It could be nice."

Thor ignores us, headed off. I stay close behind Loki as he looks around, anxiously.

"Perhaps we should wait." Thor turns back to his brother. "For what?" "To survey the enemy. To gauge their strengths and weaknesses from a distance."

"We know all we must. It's time to act!" Thor heads on. Reluctantly, the others follow.

We trudge behind Thor across the frozen wasteland. I should myself from the howling wind and cold. "It feels good, doesn't it? To be together again, adventuring in another world?" Thor asks his fellow friends.

Fandral speaks, "Adventuring? Is that what we're doing?" "What would you call it?"

"Freezing."

"Starving."

"Whining."

The party reaches the edge of the city, its ancient structures of jade and ice melting and crumbling, ravaged by warfare long ago. A temple lies before them, across a central plaza.

"I see nothing. Where are they?" I ask shivering. Loki holds his vest open around me in an attempt of warmth.

"Hiding. As cowards always do."

As we reach the plaza. I sense the shadows in the crevices, surrounding us now on all sides.

"What is your business here, Asgardian?" The Jotun's voice itself sounds like cracking ice.

Thor bombs, "I speak only to your King. Not to his foot soldiers."

"Then speak."

We turn towards the source in a balcony of the temple, where Laufey sits, veiled in shadow. The Jotun King is ancient, noble, powerful -- too proud to reveal even a hint of the years of suffering he and his people have endured. "I am Laufey, King of this Realm."

"And I am--"

"We know who you are, Odinson. Why have you brought the stench of your blood into my world?" I back away to Loki frightened of this red-eyed giant.

"I demand answers." Laufey stands, sizing up Thor, tries to piece this together. "You demand?" "How did your people get into Asgard?"

"The house of Odin is full of traitors." I tensely exchange a puzzled look.

"Do not dishonor my father's name with your lies."

"Your father is a murderer and a thief. He stole what was ours, and left our world in ruins. We have the right to reclaim the Casket." "Not when you'd use it to make war against other Realms."