Ch. 4

The next morning I woke up early, as usual, being quiet as I possibly could. All that ninja training wasn't for nothing. I was doing my morning workout routine behind my house. Throwing kunai and whatnot. After just an hour of training, I could hear muffled cries coming from inside.

'Oh yeah. The kid. I bet he's hungry...'

I wiped the sweat off my brow as I got up from my position, knowing I had a full day of work ahead of me.

'I wonder how long Sarutobi sensei needs me to watch this infant.' I wondered, already getting tired, just thinking about the duty on hand.

'I guess I should just try to make the best of it.' I sighed. This is going to be a long day.
And I was right. The anbu, infiltrating villages, rescuing prisoners of war, dealing with Gai, just about anything was easier than watching a brat 24/7.

Never in my life have I had to deal with so many tantrums, piercing loud screams, headaches, sore arms, explosive diapers, and just big messes. All from one little baby. I hate children.

What's even more unbelievable is that I said Gai is less tiresome, imagine that. I collapsed  in my bed that night, falling asleep almost instantly.

1 hour later.

"Waaaaahhhhh!!!!!!" An earsplitting scream rattled through my rather small bedroom. I kept him in my room for convenience, and also since he's got the nine tails inside him.

I shot up instantly, that kid scared the crap put of me. Man I'm tired.

'Just think about the money. I am getting paid after all.'

I picked him up and rocked him gently, back and forth, back and forth. He seemed to calm down a bit after that. I quietly paced through my house, since I needed a change of scenery. I can only stare at the wall for so long.

His breathing slowed, almost completely normal. Almost asleep.
.
.
.
.

Finally, HE'S SLEEPING!!!!!

'Now I can get some rest as-' I hadn't even completed my thought when a stray cat jumped into the window, thinking it was open, and making a huge crash. It quickly scurried away after dizziness falling over several times.

"Waaaaaaaahhhh!" Cried Naruto.

This is why I hate cats.

The next morning I took Naruto for a walk. A walk to Sarutobi sensei's office, that is.

"Ah Kakashi, come in." The hokage welcomed me, gesturing with his arms.

"I have come to discuss my mission with you, lord 3rd." I told him plainly, a bored and extremely tired expression written all over my face.

Sarutobi looked me over, observing my behavior and tone. That made me nervous, but I didn't show it. Shinobi show no emotion.

"Are you dissatisfied with your mission on hand Kakashi?" He asked genuinely, as his hands slowly tapped the edge of his desk, waiting in anticipation.

I hesitated slightly before choosing my next words carefully. His expression is difficultto read.

'If I mess up how I phrase this, then he won't listen, but give me some loaded story.'

"I would like to go back to doing my regular missions sir. I do not believe that I am cut out to watch the son of the 4th, but that I am better suited in battlefield missions."

I took a breath after my short speech. There was more I wanted to say, but I figured I could use that to back me up as evidence, if need be.

"I see." He said.

"And why do you think that?" He asked.

"I am simply not fit for the job of a babysitter. I can neither support him emotionally, and I also don't know what I'm supposed to do with him most times. I'm not good with kids." I explained, realizing how unconvincing and pathetic my plea sounded.

"A ninja should not turn down any mission given to him by his superior, otherwise undermining my authority. Give it a few more days Kakashi, I'm sure you'll do just fine. Come to me if you need any help with anything, alright."

"Fine. I will do as you say." I responded dully, without any hope or enthusiasm. I left, and reached my house.

'Maybe if I had just died along with the rest of my team, I wouldn't have to do this. Or maybe if I had died instead of Rin, then she could be doing this instead. I'm sure she would have loved you.'

I thought while rubbing my fingers across Naruto's small forehead. His blue eyes were open, as he grabbed onto my finger, wrapping his entire fist around it.

He laughed. But he doesn't know anything.

'I hope this child never has to endure pain as terrible as I have. And also, I hope you won't hate me one day for not being better for you.'

'If only Rin were here. She would know what to do with him.'

I sighed. 'I bet she would've made a great mother someday too.' Tears welled in my eyes, as I tried to blink them back, but they kept coming.

"Dangit, not again." I muttered in distress.

Naruto was giving me a confused stare. He didn't know what was happening to his new best friend.