Ch. 10

Kuranai's pov.

I was on my way to pick some flowers for my mom, when I saw Gai walking along the opposite side of the street. He didn't seem like his usually cheerful self. There was something amiss about his body language.

His hands completely hidden inside the pockets of his pants, and his head hanging low. His feet dragged behind as well.

I raced to the other side of the street to catch up with him;he glanced at me sideways, noticing my presence.

"Hey, Gai."

"...hey." He replied in almost a whisper.

I frowned. Something was definitely up with him today.

I followed him with my eyes for a few seconds as he slunk by, unimpressed by his act.

"Hey Gai, wait up!" I yelled from the short distance he had managed to create between us.

He turned his head just enough so that I would know he heard me, before stopping briefly. I ran up beside him, finally catching up.

"Hey, are you okay?" I asked out of breath.

.
.
.

"...yeah, I'm fine. Just tired."

My eyebrows twitched upwards slightly in disbelief.

'Did he really think that I was gonna believe that?'

I pressed on. "You know you can talk to me, right? I don't bite."

"Heh. Yeah. I'll be on my way home now. Thanks anyways." He replied.

He left, head down, and hands shoved far down in his pockets.

'Maybe he just wants to be left alone.' I thought.

I decided to leave it at that for now, and not press any further.

Gai's pov

I felt, betrayed. Did Kakashi really not think of me as anything more than a classmate? I thought we were friends...comrades even. But now, I'm not so sure what to think.

'I guess I shouldn't bother him anymore if he doesn't want me around.'

I sighed miserably, and my shoulders, along with my spirits sank.

'Does anyone actually like me, or are they all pretending?'

Another tear slid down my cheek. Maybe, if I just left people alone, then I wouldn't get hurt like this. L