Ch. 8

Kakashi's pov

I arrived at my door. Finally, I thought I would never get away from...Gai. He talks way too much for my liking, and even worse, tries to pry into my personal life.

If I wanted to talk, I would. It's really nothing personal.

Naruto fussed, causing me to take him out of the carrier and rock him gently in my arms. He grabbed a hold of my index finger and wrapped his hand around it.

I decided to read a book while he slept. Although it was proven much more difficult with only one hand available.

I was deeply endowed in my book, when I heard a 'you hoo' from my window....great.
I lifted my tired eyes from the pages of my book, only to see Jiriya Sensei popping his head in through my window.

He hopped down and came towards me with a goofy grin on his face.

"So the rumors are true. I thought I was going crazy from the booze, but turns out the gossip is real." He said.

"Do you need something?" I asked, putting down my book and marking the page with a ribbon.

"Oh, I'm just here to visit while I'm in the village, and I thought I'd drop by when I heard that you of all people were watching the son of the 4th."

He paused briefly, and his eyes softened when he looked at the child in my arms.

"He sure is cute."

"I guess so." I admit. I never really thought about it before, but looking at the kid, I suppose he is kinda cute.

"So is this your new mission?" Jiriya asked me, changing the subject.

"For now at least. Sarutobi Sensei won't say how long I'll be in this position. But I suppose he has a reason." I told him cooly.

"I do wonder sometimes what goes through that man's head. But he always has a reason." Jiriya voiced, deep in thought.

"I wonder...." He looked at me, almost staring before getting up.

"Well I best be on my way." He said, waving as he jumped out the window.

I sighed. He's so weird. Also....I glanced at the open window. 'I better close that before anyone else gets any fancy ideas.' I thought, shutting the window, and locking my door.

The last thing I need or want is more people in here. The population in my apartment
has already doubled, and it doesn't need to increase. Naruto was still fast asleep, so I still have time to read some more before supper.

Oh yeah, that reminds me, some of my classmates were getting together for barbecue pork later this evening, and I was supposed to go. 'Heh. I have the perfect excuse not to go thanks to you, Naruto.'

Gai's pov

We were all at the restaurant except for, you guessed it: Kakashi. Dang. I told him to be here. I even reminded him a few days ago.