Three Words

Davey had his eyes closed for the whole ride. Naturally, he was very anxious getting back in a car, but he had to get places somehow. So he just closed his eyes and listened to the radio getting lost in his thoughts.

He felt the car slow down and opened his eyes again, laughing quietly as Jack pulled into the parking lot of the little Mexican restaurant.

"What?" Jack looked over at him, a huge smile on his face, "I never tried those Oreo churros." He shrugged.

"Only you would actually remember these things." Davey shook his head.

"Race does too!" Jack defended.

Davey laughed again, shaking his head, "You're ridiculous."

"Possibly." Jack got out of the car, going over to the passenger side to help Davey. Davey was still a little wobbly on his feet, but it was a huge improvement from yesterday morning. Davey had to use Jack for almost full support again and he felt a little bad about it. Jack shouldn't have to be his human crutch, but sadly Davey just couldn't tough this one out.

They stepped into the restaurant, nothing had changed since the last time they were there. Davey couldn't help the huge smile on his face as he slid into the booth across from Jack. He looked out the window, watching the people walk by.

Davey had changed a lot since that first day they were here. He didn't slouch in his seat or hug his stomach. He looked happy and relaxed. He hadn't noticed Jack just looking at him again. Jack had found a new detail every time he looked at Davey and it made him happy. Davey didn't look 100%. For Christ's sake, the guy was just in a car crash, but he sure was still beautiful, and always would be to Jack.

Davey turned his attention from the window back to Jack, laughing softly at him. He copied Jack's position, elbow on the table cheek rested against his fist. "Hi."

Jack let out a blissed sigh, smiling wide, "Hi."

Another comfortable silence, Davey could see the gears turning in Jack's head, "Penny for your thoughts?" He hummed. Jack took another moment, a long, tenser moment.

It was clear the words had shocked him as well as Davey. Neither had seen it coming, and both were decently scared.

"I love you."

Jack had spoken just above a whisper, he had been holding back, but his mouth worked before his brain did.

"Why?" Davey's first reaction, which he also immediately regretted.

Two flustered college students, sitting in the booth at a Mexican restaurant, head over heels for each other, and now both scared out of their minds.

"You want me to read off my list? It's color-coded." Jack had returned to his normal self in an instant, Davey was still opening and closing his mouth like a fish.

"No, no that's not. Wait that- I didn't-" Jack leaned over the table and captured Davey in a kiss. It lasted for a moment almost too short for his liking. "You don't have to say it back. Guess I just hated the weight on my shoulders." He sat back in his seat, smiling softly.

Davey put his hands in his lap, looking down. Three words, eight letters, his biggest fear. He had told Jack in the beginning, he didn't believe it. That had since changed of course, but it didn't mean he was used to it. He didn't know where things would go if he didn't say it back, but did he want to? Or was it just his conscience trying to force him to say it so he didn't lose him. For once Davey disregarded his thoughts, didn't listen to his mind.

"I love you too, Jack." And the smile that lit up on Jack's face made it all definitely worth it.