Brown Eyed Girl

Davey sat under a tree on campus, book in hand and enjoying the fall evening. The sun had started to set and Davey needed to head back to the dorm soon.

      "Thought you were back with your roommates?"

       Davey recognized Jack's voice. 'Whom you seem to know." He closed the book, looking up at him. He was leaning against the stump, looking down at Davey.

      "I do?" He tilted his head.
      "Blink and Mush."

      Jack let out a laugh. "Been a hot second."

       "They said to stop by some time." Davey stood up, shivering as a sudden gust of wind blew through the two, moving some clumps of hair to fall in front of Davey's face. Jack paused for a moment, looking at Davey before opening his mouth to say something but was interrupted.

       "Jack!" A girl bounced up to the two, about a head shorter than Jack. She latched onto his arm, looking David up and down, brown eyes like lasers burning holes through him. Davey hugged himself. Her strawberry hair brushed Jack's chin as she looked up at him "I missed you!"

      Davey shivered again, hugging himself closer.

       "Missed you too." Jack's mood seemed to drop, his smile not quite reaching his eyes as he kissed her quickly. "Dave, Katherine. Katherine, David." He introduced the two.

      Katherine gave Davey a smile, almost a disgusted one. David stepped backwards.

      "I should uh, get going." He smiled "Bye Jack."

      "Wait." Jack shrugged his coat off, handing it to Davey. "Wouldn't want you getting sick. Night Dave." He smiled, turning around with Katherine and walking away.

      Davey looked down at the gray jacket, a few holes in the pockets and the zipper a little rusted, but nothing too bad. Davey put it on, zipping it up and started the walk back to his dorm.
      The coat, a simple piece of fabric now the most important thing to him. Like a security blanket as he walked. It smelled like a highschool art room, giving David a sense of nostalgia. He was never good at art but always admired it. David had spent a lot of his free time reading up on famous artists. Maybe one day he could sit and watch Jack at work.

     Davey had lost track of time just walking. He knew that as soon as he stepped foot in his dorm Blink and Mush would drill him with questions. He didn't want that now, the moment would slip away all too fast.

     Eventually he had to head home as the sky darkened, painted in muted oranges and blues. He looked up, spotting the first star of the night. Hugging the jacket closer as he neared the dorm. It was late in the evening now but he didnt care, he could have walked for hours and hours and wouldn't have gotten tired. What was Jack doing to him? All the sudden he was head over heels for someone even though he swore he would never do it again. But it was Jack. Everything about him was perfect. His eyes, hair, smile, laugh, voice.

      Oh boy.

      And back to the brownie metaphor we go. David had that stupid feeling again and by the looks of things it wasn't going away anytime soon. His mind wandered back to Katherine constantly. The way Jack looked at her, it didn't seem right. His smile was normally sparkling and wide, reaching his eyes and making them shine. This one was different. Still beautiful but there was a more, awkward tone. Like an overcast that clouded over the sun, hiding it for a few moments. Just short, brief moments, but still too long.

      Davey quietly opened the dorm room door, Blink and Mush were dead asleep on the couch. It was still fairly early in the evening, but the two get tired easily after classes and work. Davey shrugged off Jack's jacket and walked to the desk, grabbing his laptop and textbooks to go to his room so as to not disturb the two. He sat down criss cross applesauce on his bed and began working on just extra credit stuff.

      He couldn't help it if his mind ran right back to Jack. He had tried so hard to focus but ended up staring at the keys on his laptop and thinking about Jack, a small smile on his face and cheeks dusted a light pink. He had swore on all things holy and unholy he wouldn't ever fall for someone so quickly again, that he wouldn't make that unexpected trip. The inevitable was bound to happen, I mean, a person can't just say they won't ever fall in love again. Which wasn't exactly what Davey promised. More that he wouldn't fall fast. But alas here he was, sitting on his bed, smiling like an idiot and blushing at just the thought of Jack. Jeez he was perfect, but Davey could never compare.

      Davey didn't think too low of himself, well sometimes. It all depended on the day. Some days he dug himself into a very deep hole to the point where he couldnt dig any deeper and was unable to climb out. Even with a ladder, or a helping hand, it was just impossible to get out to safety. On those days he longed for a specific person's comfort and embrace, but the problem was, he didn't know who that person was. It was almost like he was waiting around for someone special. Like his mind knew when and who would come along but he didn't. And it drove him crazy.

      Davey's thoughts were a jumbled mess the entire night. Like a five year old scribbling on a piece of paper. He had no sense of time, no motivation, and no focus. By 5 in the morning Davey had given up, his laptop died, eyelids droopy, and cheeks hurt from smiling. He grabbed his, well, Jack's coat and his wallet. Leaving the dorm as quietly as possible. Blink and Mush were practically on top of each other on the couch, passed out. Davey was glad he had Jack's coat, it was very warm and it was absolutely freezing outside. The sky pitch black, splattered with stars. The mist was back, making Davey's hair flatten to his forehead and frizz up a little. He knew exactly where he was going so he wasn't in the uncomfortable atmosphere for long. While he was waiting in line at the small coffee shop his eyes drooped and he almost fell asleep. Yeah there was no way he would make it through today.

A/N a longer one but it's getting good soon so just bare with me.