Chapter 8; Claire Curvel

I groaned, tossing my arm over my face to cover my eyes as the sun beat down on my from the window. My swollen ankle was propped up on a couple of pillows -courtesy of Glenn sneaking in the house when he wasn't supposed to.  I was told to stay in bed by an angry Hershel until the swelling in my ankle went down. Too bad I never really know how to listen to people eh. 

I rolled off the bed, standing up and pulling the shorts Beth lent me down a bit. I pulled the converse I was given to burrow on, wincing as the left one tightened around my ankle. I walked slowly to the door, opening it and walking out without trying to limp much. Hopefully no one saw me until I was outside or they'd just send me back to the room. 

I leaned against the stair railing as I bounded down the stars -clenching my fist at my side as I got out the front door. Maybe I should have just stayed in bed because this ankle hurts like shit. 

  "Claire why are you out of bed? Is something wrong?" 

I froze, turning to Glenn who sat on the porch swing behind me. Dammit. I've been caught. I shook my head slowly, licking my dry lips. I stared at him, raising an eyebrow as I noticed the egg yolk on his head.

  "What happened to you?" I questioned, cracking a smile in humor.

  "Maggie," He said simply, getting up and standing next to me. I gulped, taking a small step back from how close he was. He looked at me confused, making me look down at the converse I was wearing. "That ankle doesn't look like it's better Claire."

I looked at him with pleading eyes. "Don't tell Hershel," I begged. "I don't want to lay in bed anymore. I've been there half the day already."

Glenn sighed, looking out towards Dale's RV. He looked conflicted as he stood there silently. "Alright, only if you stick by me."

I nodded excitedly. "Thanks."

Glenn stepped down the porch steps and I followed him, not caring about my limp.  I tilted my head in confusion as he went inside a tent, coming back out with a water bottle and a t-shirt. He handed the water bottle to me. "Can you pour this on my head so I can wash the egg out?"

I nodded, opening the bottle and pouring it on his head as he combed his fingers through his hair. Once the bottle was empty he straightened back up. "Thanks," he said with water dripping down his face. 

My face heated up as my eyes widened, turning around quickly as Glenn pulled his shirt up over his head and off. Jesus, could have given me a warning that he was going to change. I bit down on my lip, playing with my fingers as I waited for him to finish.

  "I'm done. You didn't have to turn around."

I bit the inside of my cheek, turning back around. "You were changing so I was giving you privacy," I objected, not making eye contact with him.

He laughed a little, going in the direction of Dale's RV. "Come on, I promised Dale I'd keep watch today so you can help me."

Glenn climbed up the ladder, looking down at me patiently. Great a ladder. I took in a deep breathe before slowly climbing up the ladder, my ankle screaming at me to stop. A hand appeared in front of me, making me stare up at Glenn. I grabbed it, letting him pull me up the rest of the way. He nodded towards a chair, indicating for me to go sit over there.

I huffed. Should have known he was going to make me sit down somewhere even if I wasn't inside the house. I sat down on it, crossing my arms as I sat there pouting. 

  "You didn't think I'd really let you walk all over the place with that ankle did you?"

  "You suck," I grunted, making him laugh loudly. I rolled my eyes, leaning back against the chair so the umbrella could cover me from the sun. I squinted my eyes, seeing Shane over by the barn. "What's Shane doing over there?" I asked, pointing towards him.