Chapter 41; Claire Curvel

It was quiet. As quiet as it could get with walkers around. Outside was the only place I could go without feeling like someone was breathing done my neck. Outside was the only place I could get a few moments alone to myself. Otherwise I would be on duty of watching over a pregnant Lori or sitting with Hershel while he told me some medical things. Doing the same thing everyday was really starting to bug me.

I sighed, slipping a cigarette between my lips. I pulled the small thing of matches I found before peeking around the corner of the brick wall. If someone found out I was smoking, I'd probably have to deal with some angry people. Especially Daryl since they're his cigarettes that I have been stealing. I lit it, taking in a couple puffs before leaning back against the wall and closing my eyes for a second. It's not that I wanted to take up smoking something so unhealthy, but it calmed my nerves. Smoking has become something I use when I can feel myself losing it again. 

I jumped -snapping my eyes open as I heard one of the doors leading into the jail open. I quickly dropped the cancer stick in my hand to the ground, stepping over it as someones footsteps got close. 

"Claire?" A voice called out. "Are you out here?"

I exhaled the smoke in my mouth, coughing a few times before fanning my hand around me. "Yeah, I was just going pee," I lied as I walked around the corner of the wall.

I gave a fake smile towards Lori, stuffing my hands into the pockets of my jackets. Lori nodded, waiting until I was in front of her to start following me back inside. I rolled my eyes, mentally cursing myself. If Lori finds out she'll tell someone and I don't want to hear anybody's mouth about what I do. I can tell she's already suspicious. 

I walked back into the cell block where we were all set up, looking around to notice that Rick and Daryl where gone somewhere around this jail again. I sighed, walking towards the steps and taking a seat at the bottom one. "Glenn should be done with watch soon," Lori said as she walked over to me.

I just nodded, sighing once again. Crossing my arms over my bent knees, I buried my head in them, my stomach grumbling -reminding me I should have ate last night and this morning instead of trying to avoid everyone. 

I jumped a bit as a hand laid on my head, slowly smoothing my hair down. "Have you eaten? You're looking a bit sick," Lori added, making me look up at her again. 

I gave a small laugh. "You're pregnant and you're worrying about me?"

Lori cracked a smile, nodding her head. "Just because I'm pregnant doesn't mean I'll forget about your health too Claire," She explained. "You are a child in my eyes just as much as Carl."

As soon as the words left her mouth, the smile on my face faded. I'm no child. I'm sick of most of the group still seeing me as that way. I know how to handle and deal with this world. Hell I'm probably better equipped to survive in this world than most of the people still living right now. 

I looked away, seeing Hershel walking out of his cell with crutches under his arms. I smiled, jumping up to my feet quickly and rushing over to him. "Damn I missed it all, how long did it take you to get use to them things?" I questioned as I stood besides. Lori and Beth rushed over, standing on either side of him with their hands out just in case he falls.

"Maybe you should rest Daddy."

"Rest? Let's go for a little stroll," Hershel countered. 

I laughed, following them with Carl as Hershel headed for the door that leads outside. Lori opened it, Hershel going out first and the rest of us following him down the stairs. I smiled as I noticed everyone seemed to be paying attention to Hershel as he came out onto the courtyard.