Chapter 36; Claire Curvel

"It's hot," I grumbled.

I groaned, tilting my head back so it laid off the truck seat. I wiped the back of my hand across my forehead, frowning at the sticky sweat, dirt, and blood coating my face. Pushing my greasy hair behind my ear, I sat back up and leaned forward, squinting my eyes as I could actually see the heat waves from the Georgia sun.

This fucking sucks.

I climbed out of the car, watching as mostly everyone dispersed into different ways.

Where are they going? Who stops in the middle of the road and just disperses? Don't they know it's dangerous.

I sighed, pulling my t-shirt off to leave me in my tank top. I tossed my shirt into the back of T's truck and tied my hair up into a ponytail before grabbing my gun and walking over to Beth. Bumping her shoulder, I smiled at her once I gained her attention.

She smiled at me softly, looking around at the woods that surrounded us. "Rick told me it was mine turn to keep watch," she said. "I don't really like it honestly."

I chuckled, nodding my head. "It's fun if you don't think of it as a burden. I'll be back, I need to pee."

"Be careful."

"Always am," I joked.

Beth rolled her eyes at me, shooing my off with a hand motion. I hurried into the tree lines, finding a big enough tree to hide behind. Quickly doing my business, I pulled my jeans back up before moving to the small creak. I know it was connected to the larger part of the creek we've passed multiple times already. That's probably where T-Dog, Maggie, and Glenn went.

I frowned at the two names together again. Maggie and Glenn. Sure T was with them this time, but I still don't like them together. Come on, Maggie is everything better that I'm not. Who's to say what could happen between her and Glenn when they're together...

What are you doing Claire? Stop doubting him. He loves you, stop being so jealous.

I sighed, bending down at the small creek. Splashing some water onto my face, I took a deep breathe before cupping some water into my hands and letting it fall onto my red shoulders. I hissed as it stung, only sighing in relief once a cooling sensation went over my shoulders.

I stood back up, wiping my hands on my jeans. "A cold bath would be a miracle right now," I whispered to myself.

I took a deep breathe, closing my eyes and wrapping my arms around my waist. I sighed as flashbacks from the few weeks I was alone flashed through my mind again. Images of the vile men I left behind to get eaten by walkers just so I could get away. I lead them into a trap and got them killed.

Technically, you're a murderer. A killer.

"What are you doing?"

I spun around, my eyes wide as I pressed my hand to my chest. "Jesus, you scared the hell out of me," I shrieked. I rolled my eyes at Glenn, letting my arms fall back to my sides. "I thought you went somewhere with T and Maggie?"

"I did. We went to the creek to get some water real quick, but you were taking a while to come back," he told me.

"Oh," I mumbled. "I'm surprised you didn't bring Maggie around with you."

My words came out more childish than I wanted. I sounded completely jealous --I'm just praying Glenn didn't catch up on it.

I avoided his gaze, too embarrassed to look at him with my cheeks blushing at my outburst. "Are you jealous?" Glenn asked. You could hear the amusement in his voice when he asked such an obvious question.

"No," I lied. "I was just wandering why you didn't have Maggie tagging around with you," I rushed out. "I mean you guys are always together now and-- dammit, I'm not jealous okay."

Glenn chuckled, pulling me closer to him by my wrist. "There's no reason to be," he whispered. "You should know I only see you no matter who's around."

I nervously brought my bottom lip between my teeth, nibbling on it as I focused my attention on Glenn's dirty blue shirt. I didn't want to make eye contact with him. It's embarrassing enough that I keep getting jealous over nothing, but it's even worse since he knows that I'm jealous.

"Um, we should head back."

"Okay," Glenn muttered with a heavy sigh.

I carefully pulled my arm out of his grip and quickly made my way back to where the cars were. I dragged my feet along behind me, not daring to look back at Glenn who was just walking quietly behind me.

God Claire. Way to kill a mood in a few seconds.

I made my way back to were the others were, raising an eyebrow in question as everyone gathered around Rick and Daryl. "What's going on?" I questioned out loud.

"We found a place."

"A place for what?" I asked confused.

"A place to stay for a while," Rick answered.

My heart skipped a beat at his words, a strand of hope lighting up my mood instantly. "Really?" I asked in astonishment.

Rick nodded with a smile on his face, putting his arm around Carl's shoulders as Carl hugged him in excitement. I smiled, turning around to look at the red pick up where Lori sat. She sat gloomily in the passenger seat with the door open as she stared blankly out the window. I know she's been having trouble with her marriage right now and she's been very moody, but I know this news will cheer her up. It has to. It has to cheer everyone up to give them a little hope that we can keep living. It's our only choice.