Chapter 37; Claire Curvel

I stood besides Glenn, my hand gripping the handle of my beretta that was tucked away in its holster around my waist. My eyes scanned the outside of the prison as Rick tried to hurriedly cut some of the fence so we could get in. Everyone seemed to be on edge, making a semi circle around Lori who was a little ways from the Rick and the fence. Daryl covered Rick's back while everyone else dealt with the walkers around us.

My only priority was to make sure Carl and Lori stayed safe. Sure they had their own weapons to use but Rick was more capable of handling himself than them, as well as the others.

I held back a frown as Glenn rushed over to kill a lingering walker that came to close, Maggie moving to help him quicker than I could. Of course she had to go and be some type of hero to him. Why is she always around him instead of Beth?

"Watch the back side," Rick called out.

"Got it."

I sighed heavily before rushing over to the gate with everyone else as Rick finally cut a hole big enough for us to get through. I grabbed Lori's arm, pulling her along with us to the fence. I pushed her forward a little as Rick held the gate up for everyone to climb through while Daryl held the other side.

"Hurry, hurry," Rick rushed.

I quickly slipped through, standing besides Daryl as T-Dog came through and Glenn tied the fence back up with Daryl's help. My heart beat against my chest as walkers from the other side of the fence came stumbling towards us, trying to reach their grimy hands out to us. I jogged behind Hershel, rolling my eyes as we followed Rick.

There goes Maggie right besides Glenn again like always.

We slowed down to a stop outside of the gate to let us into the prison yard, everyone looking around skeptically. My eyes only focused on the many different walkers surrounding the place. There was a lot. Not as much as the herd that made us evacuate Hershel's farm, but enough to leave me worried.

"It's perfect," Rick spoke. "If we can shut that gate, prevent more from filling the yard, we can pick off these walkers."

Does he not see how many walkers are here? Is he crazy?

"We'll take the field by tonight," Rick added.

"So how do we shut the gate?" Hershel asked.

"I'll do it," Glenn volunteered. "You guys cover me."

"No," Maggie and I both objected.

I scoffed, glaring slightly at her. "It's a suicide run."

"I'm the fastest," Glenn protested.