Chapter Twenty-One : Lore and Lured

Going home and sitting on my bed with my laptop, scrolling on Tumblr was no surprise for me, but it was a big surprise that I was kinda calm about the situation a bit. I mean, Scott just got stabbed with an Oni's sword and it got twisted by a Nogitsune Stiles which caused more pain to Scott. Wonderment danced in my brain, questions flickered around and magically, my fingers found themselves typing into Google's search bar for Nogitsune Mythology and pressed search. The first thing that came up was a page called Kitsune Lore on the website cyberus.ca. I clicked on it and began searching the lines for answers. There wasn't very much except for what Kitsunes are used for and what they're commonly apposed to until I found a bold title called 'The Different Types Of Kitsunes'. It instantly sparked interest and started reading the section.

It said that in this one book called Kitsune, that there are thirteen different listed types of Kitsune: Fire, Earth, River, Ocean, Mountain, Forest, Thunder, Time, Sound, Spirit, Wind, Celestial, and Void. Of course, my eyes locked in on the word Void and studied it for a moment until I scrolled down to see the bold text that said: 'Kitsune Behavior'. I started reading the paragraphs out loud for my brain to register.

'Many things about the Kitsune is mercurial, from their moods to their treatment of humans, to even the abilities some possess. Kitsune have a depth of personality as deep or even deeper than those of other Japanese characters. The reason for this, according to one source, is that the Kitsune is the Trickster, in Japanese culture. They are there to teach those around them lessons.'

I paused for second then continued. 'Kitsune are not truly good or evil. Quite literally, as spirits, they embody the concept of the amoral, those who do not accept, or understand, the idea of Good or Evil, instead, paving the way of balance between the two'.

That's what Kira was talking about. I told myself inside of my head. I then spotted another paragraph that was very interesting and began to read. 

'Kitsune follow their own code of ethics, though they adapt the morals of those around them, more for the sake of being accepted than for any other reason. If someone offends what a Kitsune considers 'correct', they can become evil, malicious, and disruptive. If someone behaves according to their ethics, they will become polite, kind, and helpful'.

I started talking out loud to collect my thoughts. "The Nogitsune was offended by someone who thought what it was doing was incorrect and that's what had started the William Barrow and Kira scenario then the whole Hospital and bomb scene. ." My brain thought more and it clicked. "That lady who stood by the Oni at the Hospital." I whispered and grabbed my pen and notebook, writing down the things that I'd just thought of and found out.

Just then, randomly, my computer scrolled down the page all by itself and it showed me a bulletin list titled: 'Common things the Kitsune believe in'. My writing came to a slow stop as I glanced at the page. My hand readjusted and started writing down the list as I read.

Number One: Kitsune tend to live in families, and work together as much as possible. Lone Kitsune such as Nogitsunes tend to try and make families.

Number Two: Kitsune are notorious for seeing a weakness in someone, and aggravating the weakness, until others see it. To those who are 'immoral', they tend to 'help', making the person more immoral, or guiding the person down the path of self-destruction. To the ones they consider 'moral', they become friendly, and helpful, though they may still play a trick, or show a small flaw in the person, to teach them humility.

Number Three: Kitsune have to keep their promises, and especially follow their word of honor. They become self-destructive if they break a promise, and when someone else breaks a promise, they become deadly enemies.

Number Four: Kitsune are also a victim of their own feelings. A Kitsune's emotions can cause them harm, or distract them. The Sin of Regret can even kill a Kitsune outright.

Number Five: Kitsune do not accept aid from those who are not willing. Those who wish to aid a Kitsune, must do so of their own free will. Kitsune are very loath to ask for help, and as such, most aid must come from another's initiative.

Number Six: Kitsune are emotional and very vengeful. Kitsune will lose their temper at the slightest provocation. Once someone has earned a Kitsune's enmity, the Kitsune will begin enacting revenge that can become quite extreme. On the other hand, those who have earned a Kitsune's trust and loyalty will see a friendship that can last through many trials.

And Number Seven: Freedom is very important to the Kitsune. They do not accept being forced into something they do not wish, and do not like being bound or trapped. Doing so weakens the Kitsune, and is frowned upon by other Kitsune.

When I finish writing, there's a knock on my door and I glanced up at it. "Who is it?"

"It's me." Scott's voice carried through. "Can I come in?"

"Sure." I mumbled and logged off my computer, closing my notebook as Scott walked on in.

He seemed to be dry now and his wound was healed from what I could see. He eyed me and frowned. "I'm sorry, I didn't tell you. I just didn't want you to worry so much about Stiles but, I know you do anyway." Scott paused. "Kit, I'm trying. I'm trying to help, Argent's trying, Isaac, Allison, Derek they all are. I just don't need you to worry."

"But it's Stiles, Scott." I sighed. "I can't help but worry for him."

"And that's why I couldn't tell you." I eyed him and he sighed. "You heard him, right? You heard him say what Nogitsune feed on?"

I nodded. "Chaos. Pain and strife."

"You're the region of pain," he whispered. "You've been with Stiles through things that you shouldn't have been apart of but you were and now, the Nogitsune more mostly feeding off your emotions then the rest of us. That's why Stiles didn't want you or his dad to worry; you two are the main sources."

"It's not just pain, strife and chaos, isn't it?" I instantly asked. "Is there something else?"

"To be honest, I don't know." Scott shook his head. "I honestly don't. I hope not."

My head nodded slowly. "How's Stiles?"

"He's fine. The Nogitsune is poisoned and he should be fine until we find Katashi's one scroll that he had that tells how to exorcise the Nogitsune."

"I wanna see Stiles." Scott looked at me. "If he's okay then I wanna see him."

"You can't."

"Why not? I thought he was okay?"

"He is. He's just not at home." Scott huffed. "He wanted to make sure that he wouldn't hurt us so he . . . enrolled himself into Eichen House."

"Eichen House?" He nodded. "He placed himself where William Barrow was?!"

"He wants to protect us, Kit."

"It's not fair." I huffed myself and glanced over to see my closet door slightly opening all by itself, stopping midway. I mumbled under my breath and then, it was as if a voice entered my head and I eyed the door for the longest time. "No." I whispered.

"What's wrong?" Scott asked, looking at me then glanced at the closet door. "Kit?"

"When is a door not a door?" I whispered, turning back to look at Scott. He eyed me confused then it realization wore on his face when I nodded. "When it's ajar." My head turned back to my closet, seeing the pit of darkness that was inside from my lamp not casting any light into it. "The door is a jar." I walked closer to it. "It's ajar. It's always been ajar." My breathing increased as my chest felt heavy. "It. Was. Always. A jar." I stated firmly, reaching for then handle and slowly grabbed it. A hand burst out from the dark, grabbed my hand roughly and I screamed at the top of my lungs, the force ripped me into the closet and the door shut.