Chapter Nine : William Barrow and the Flies

In Economics, I sat behind Scott who sat besides Stiles and we just got everything ready for the class until we heard a big clashing sound in Coach's office. "Son of a bitch!" He yells. Stiles looks over at Scott and I, the three of us chuckle from our little present prank and Coach Finstock walks on in, angry. "Mischief Night," he then throws one of the screws that was in our trick box onto the floor. "Devil's Night. I don't care what you call it. You little punks are evil. You think it's funny every Halloween my house gets egged? A man's house is supposed to be his castle." The class starts laughing and Coach smacks Scott's book that was on his desk. "Mine's a frickin' omelet." He then turns around, looking at his desk and picks up another present. "Oh, this? We're gonna do this again?"

I lean up over Scott's shoulder, confused. "Did you plan something else?" I whispered and Scott shook his head.

Coach glanced to the class. "I don't think so." He then throws the present onto the floor, stomping his foot on it and there's a cracking sound. Finstock looked down at it, up at the class then back down. He then picked up a broken piece on a mug that had his picture on it with the words #1 Coach. He then picked up the card, reading it out loud. "Happy Birthday." He then flipped it open. "Love, Greenberg."

The class laughed again and I turned around to Danny, who wore a grin. "I think Greenberg might die, Coach hates him already."

Danny smiled. "I guess so," he then glanced over and tilted his head. My head then turns to see Lydia on her phone, smacking her hand threw the air and turned her body to catch Danny and me staring. "What are you doing?" He whispered loudly.

Lydia then sighed. "There's a fly." She whispered back and kept turning her head in every way, then glanced up at the ceiling.

I turn back to Danny, then turned back around in my seat, thinking. My eyes locked onto my desk for what only felt a few minutes but before I knew it, Stiles was tapping my desk and I glanced up at him. "You okay?" I nodded. "Well, class is over and you've been sitting here for a long time now."

I turned all around to see an empty classroom and no one was in there, not even Coach. It was just Stiles and me. "What?" I whispered to myself. "But it was only a few minutes."

"Kit, you okay?" Stiles asked concerned.

"I was just thinking."

"Come on," he walked around the desk, holding out his hand to me and I took it in mine, getting up. We walked on out of class, walking down the hallway and heard people talking. Sheriff rounded the corner seeing Stiles and me. "Dad?"

"Stiles, Kit," he nodded at us. "Follow me. There's some news."

Stiles looked at me as I looked at him, he then nodded and guided us on over as his dad started talking about what happened last night and this morning just a little bit after school started. "Wait a minute, wait a minute!" Stiles said bewildered. "The William Barrow? The Shrapnel Bomber? Spotted nearby?"

Sheriff stopped, turning to look at us. "A little closer than nearby, actually."

Just then my dad walked down the stairs that was right besides us, talking to other agents. "How do we get down to the basement? I need to know where every entrance is. I don't want anybody coming in or out of the school."

Stiles then huffs. "Dad, what's really going on here?"

"Isn't William the one that killed the kids because of their eyes? Or at least something about their eyes?" I asked, looking at Sheriff.

He nodded. "This morning when Melissa-your mom-was giving the pre-op interview, William stated that the reason why he did it was because the kid's eyes were glowing. Then during the surgery, his tumor that he had held flies and they flew out of him." My thinking then kicked in, getting the best of me as Sheriff still talked. "And then, he was gone."

"We need Scott," I mumbled. "We need to tell the others."

Stiles nodded, placing his hand on my back and we started walking off, trying to find our group since it was lunch time. First we found Isaac, then Allison then Lydia. Stiles started filling them in on the situation and after, Isaac started the questions. "Barrow went after kids with glowing eyes? He said those exact words?"

Stiles nodded as we walked down the stairs. "Yeah. And no one knows how he woke up from anesthesia. Just that when they opened him up, they found a tumor full of live flies, which in any other circumstance would be all kinds of awesome."

Lydia then stopped. "Did you say flies?"

We all stopped, turning to look at her. Allison got closer to her, eyeing her reaction. "Lydia?"

"All day I have been hearing this sound." She looks at us. "It's like this buzzing."

Allison nodded at her. "Like the sound of flies?"

"Exactly like the sound of flies."

"That's right. In Econ, you told Danny and me that there was a fly buzzing near you when there wasn't. So, there's William Barrow and the flies." I nodded. "Okay, we really need Scott." Without their consent, I ran off, trying to find him.

"Kit, wait!" I heard Stiles yelling after me, running also. My feet carried me down the left wing and up the stairs, then I made break near the right wing. "Kit, stop!" Stiles's feet pattered against the floor, trying to catch up with me and my pace, his breathing was heavy. I subsided coming into a stop and felt a force hit me in my back, my body leaned over and arms wrapped around my waist, pulling me back. My feet rested back and heart pounded, Stiles held onto me and huffed. "That would've been bad."

"You're telling me." I sighed a breath of relief and glanced over to see Scott standing by Mr. Yukimura's door for History class. "Scott!" I then walked out of Stiles's hold on me as he followed behind.

"Hey, dude, where the hell have you been?" Stiles says coming up behind me and then Lydia walks in through the way, walking up to the three of us, frowning.

"The police are leaving." She looked at Stiles and me. "Why are they leaving?"

Scott then got confused. "The police?"

Stiles nodded. "They must have cleared the building and grounds, which means he's not here."

Scott shook his head. "Who? What are you guys-"

"He has to be here!" Lydia shakes, getting nervous and antsy. "That sound, the buzzing I've been hearing? It's getting louder."

"How loud?" Stiles asked and Lydia closed her eyes, possibly listening to the buzzing and she frowned.

Her green eyes open filled with worry. "It's loud."