Chapter 27

"First, you'll have to come with me," the spirit I closely associated with my mother commanded. Enide looked very serious, but I wasn't about to give in too easily.

"I can't leave," I argued. "Lina's going to need me." The sounds of battle continued carrying over to our hiding place even as I said this.

"And if you want to help her, you'll take my advice."

Knowing my options were very limited, on top of the fact that Enide knew a lot more about the future than me, I agreed.

"Good. We're going to travel to the spirit world," she explained.

"The spirit world," I echoed. "Why?" For most of my life, I assumed the spirit world was a mostly mythical place, reserved for actual spirits and the Avatar. Occasionally chosen humans could travel in, but rarely without something tragic happening.

"We aren't going far. I simply want to prove to you that you do have spiritual abilities," Enide explained.

I furrowed my eyebrows. "And if I can't come in, that means I don't have spiritual abilities?"

Enide glared at me, but nodded. "That's correct. However, you may only enter the spirit world when you are fully calm and focused. Close you eyes and mediate."

Grudgingly, I did as she said. Mediating ending up being quite the challenge, with the my own thoughts and the noises of the battle keeping me occupied.

I opened my eyes a short time after, about to tell Enide just how right I was, when I took a look around.

No longer were we pinned against a wall in a shabby warehouse. Now we sat on plush green grass, a shade so bright it was unnatural. The sky all around me was a pink blue color, made up of swirls unlike anything I could've imagined. Strange plants sprung up all over the place, and occasionally animals would peak out from them.

"This is it?" I asked dumbly. When I looked down, I saw Enide was exactly where I left her. Now, though, she seemed to have more color in her coat. It shimmered like the strange sky.

"Yes," she said out loud. I was a little surprised by this, and she noticed. "In my world, I don't need to worry about wasting my power. It is unlimited here."

"Oh," I said quietly, still taking in the landscapes. "So, why are we here?"

"We're here to show you just how connected to the spirits you are."

"You mean that I'm a spiritbender?" I asked not too happily, the fact still hanging over my head.

"No," Enide snapped. "Here, you do not have your bending. Your human body is still in Republic City." I tried to hide my panic, but being without my bending, or even without my body, surrounded by strange spirits was definitely freaky. "You don't need to be alarmed. Here, the spirits are your friends."

As if to prove her point, the spirit that led me to the factory flew over to me. It stopped a good distance away and smiled.

"You again," I said to it. This was the same thing that led me out of Lina's house and straight to her dad. I wasn't sure if I should thank it or not.

Instead of running away or attacking me, the spirit smiled. "Hi. You have a great aurora."

"This is a friend of yours?" I asked Enide.