Chapter 21

"Alright," Mom said, much more calmly then I would've expected. Clearly it took a lot to make her lose her cool. I thought about how Andi described her. "Maybe I'm in the wrong here. Maybe I've always been. But Enide is never wrong. So if you're done with your questions, I have one final proposition."

I felt myself tense up, suddenly nervous in my current position. Rage gone, I was left with a certain emptiness. There was nothing else I needed from her. I was done.

"It's a proposition for Lina," she added after a moment. I felt my expression turn to surprise. "I have information she might want to hear."

I glanced at my companion. As much as I wanted to get out of here, the decision was completely up to her now. Our eyes met for a moment, and I saw her decision in there.

"Tell me," she said finally. I would've done the same.

"First," Mom said, "you'll sit down for a telling."

A slightly annoyed Lina marched back to her seat and plopped down. It was my turn to feel slightly left out, but I sat next to her again. Enide approached Lina and stared at her. Lina looked about ready to squirm away.

"Did you do that to me?" I asked in a weak attempt to lighten the mood.

"Yes," Enide replied, completely serious. "I also have the ability to appear and disappear from human eyes at my own will. It comes in handy."

I didn't respond, a little creeped out by the whole thing. Finally, Enide walked over to my mom and said nothing else, at least not to us.

"Wait," Lina said just as my mom was about to start. "I want to hear everything. Not just what you want me to hear."

Mom hesistated, but nodded. "Can we begin?" No one objected. "We're going to talk about your future, Lina, since your past has nothing to offer either of us." Lina agreed. "I see--"

"Enide sees," Lina cut in. I managed not to snicker, but just barely.

Mom glared at her. "Fine. Enide sees you speaking to someone you don't know. He's wearing a uniform and is leaning against a satomobile. You're both gathered outside of warehouse of some sort, permantently boarded up. He's nodding as you speak, taking notes. Then he's talking, saying a lot of things. You're suddenly shaking your head, asking more questions. He reaches out to you.."

"Why are you being so vague?" I asked. "With me, you knew everything with clear detail."

Adisa sighed, like she couldn't quite deal with me. "I saw it clearly because I was there. But also because you were thinking clearly and had time to reflect on what happened. These are just Lina's thoughts. Not to mention the future can be harder to tell. One changed mind and everything goes haywire. This future could be lost already."

"Just keep going," Lina said. "Who am I talking to?"

Mom closed her eyes and breathed heavily. More of an act, I was sure. "He's an officer," she said after a moment. "This is a week from the present. He is giving you bad news, but I don't know.... Oh."

"What?" Lina was near panicking now. "What?"

"You've just identified the man that did it. Someone you know. I can't hear the name, though. Something with an L, or are you saying your own name? No, I don't think so."

"Mom," I groaned, "who is he?"

Lina didn't say anything, though. She seemed like she was trying to process it all at once. All of a sudden her face went white. "The name," she said after another long second. "Was it...Luca?"

I whip around to look at Lina like she's crazy. Why did she automatically assume her father was involved? It could have been tons of people...but the police came to her. Was he dead? Did he kill himself?

"I've got it," Mom said. "Yes, it's definitely Luca. They're saying he escaped, but there was plenty of evidence. Bloody handprints covering the scene, they're claiming. You tell them you want to see your mother, but I can't see beyond that. I don't know where your mother is..."

"He did something to her though," Lina said, not even really asking a question. "Luca attacked her? It was her blood?"

Mom opened her eyes abruptly. "As I said, neither Enide or I can see any farther. But there is a good reason to believe your mother is not well."

"Not well?" Lina wasn't exactly yelling, just talking very angrily. "She's probably dead! A week from today! And I'm sitting around having my fortune told!"

"Lina," I tried, but she ignored me.

"Consider yourself lucky I told you. If I hadn't, you would be heading back just as the event happened. As I said before, one changed mind can greatly affect the future."

"So you're telling her to change her mind?" I asked.

Adisa nodded. "Go back now and stop Luca from whatever it is he's going to do."

Lina rose to her feet, literally about to leave the Earth Kingdom that very second. More slowly, I followed her.

"Tomi," Mom said before we could go, "I hope helping Lina can make up for some of the wrongs I've done."

I didn't turn and look at her, though this could be the last glimpse I would ever get. "I think," I began, "that we're even now. So things can go back to the way they were. Before we even met."

With that, I walked out of her house, planning to never return.