Chapter Three: The Moment it All Began

Jay Halstead

January 11th, 2015

District 21 of Illinois

Chicago

8:30 PM CST

When I turned the corner to put away the files we used for the Barrett/Black case I collided with Erin. The impact caused me to lose hold of the files. It was important that Erin did not get hurt since she would be on leave from her new job in Task Force if she were to get injured. As I set her on her feet our eyes met and it felt as though there was something we both wanted to say, but we could not find the words; we both knew Voight would not approve since he humiliated me at work last year about even looking in her direction. "The guys left for Molly's are you ready to go?" I said. "Not yet, I have something I need to tell you." Erin replied.

"When I left the basement, I ran up here to the conference room because I don't like you guys to see me cry. Voight said you told him to talk to me. I am so glad you did because I told him everything and he was willing to give me my spot back!" I was absolutely thrilled for Erin as we hugged. "This news is cause for celebration, get your stuff together, and let's go!" Erin and I were about to leave 21 as Trudy called to us.

"Hey Playboy and Cinderella, just heard the news from Voight. Don't party too hard on your day off you have swat training to re-qualify your tactical gear." hollered Trudy.

Back when we started working together we were offended when she called us names, but now we know it is a sign of endearment.

"I can't believe she called me Playboy!" I said as Erin laughed. "Why are you laughing? You're Cinderella, and she's your fairy godmother, she won't let anything happen to you!" Erin shoved me laughing as we turned left after reaching the end of the street.

"Remember when she was taking our head shots in the beginning of the year, she spent so much time perfecting the light in my photo; that's when I knew something was up because she would run through everyone else's in a breeze." We laughed uncontrollably as we walked. "Do you remember how she treated Burgess? I felt so bad for her that day. I'm glad she is holding her own now, standing up to Platt!" Jay held the door open to Molly's as I entered the pub.

Molly's Irish Pub

Chicago, IL.

North Side

9:00 PM CST

Every Sunday night at Molly's is Shift Night; everybody who works at 51 and 21 meet up and share stories about the week, but to the neighborhood the pub is closed for a private party. Erin was so happy to be there, she finally had something to say that was her own. I could tell she was excited to share the news with the whole world. Erin walked around the bar giving hugs to all as I ordered a round on the house. I told Christopher that Erin had something that she could not wait to say.

"Hey Erin, a little birdie told me you have something to share with the crowd!" hollered Christopher from behind the bar. The room grew dim and soundless as Erin glared teasingly in my direction from across the room.

"Yes, I certainly do!" Erin replied looking at Christopher and faced the crowd. "You guys know that I took the job at Task Force this year right?' she paused for validation from everybody. 'Well, I was having a hard time adjusting to the new environment and missed the family comradery at 21 so I talked to Voight tonight...I'M BACK!" she shouted at the top of her lungs.

Without fail, the pub erupted with all sorts of emotion, from cries to scouts. We were all overjoyed and honored to have Erin back in the city. Brett and Mills went on to tell us about their kidnapping and how terrified they were trying to save their kidnapper from dying. We were all glad they were finally safe and here with us tonight.