Chapter Seven: Forever the Same

April 11th, 2015

Hotel near the airport
Phoenix, AZ.
10:30 AM

Jay woke up in the hotel room, with his fiancée in his arms. Light was streaming through the double doors of the balcony. They were so exhausted by the end of the night, after the impromptu engagement celebration that his mother and Voight hosted, he forgot to close the curtains. They were lying fully clothed on top of the duvet cover of the king size bed, his arms around Erin, her head resting on his shoulder and her arms were around his waist. He could still smell her perfume, a rustic combination of flower petals and honey. As far as he could tell, her makeup was not smudged although there was residue left on his shirt. Jay leaned over and gave Erin a kiss on her forehead. A few seconds later, she lifted her left hand to rub her eye, her engagement ring gleamed; sun rays danced over the band and facets of the diamond. Jay smiled as his heart filled with such joy. Erin shifted into a more comfortable position and Jay quietly laughed. She slowly opened her eyes, awakened by her fiancé.

"Good Morning, babe!" Jay said holding Erin tightly to his side.

"Good Morning, fiancé!" Erin giggled excitedly.

Jay leaned down to kiss her.

"What's on the agenda today?" Jay said excitedly.

"I know, let's just take today for what it is. . .let's sight-see and go from there." Erin said overwhelmed with excitement at the prospect of spending the day with Jay as an engaged couple for the first time.

"Perfect, sight-seeing it is!" Jay said rubbing Erin's back.

Jay lifted Erin off the bed, and set her on her feet. They glanced at each other before Erin gave Jay a hug. She leaned her head back, and glanced into the eyes of her fiancé.

"I could love you forever, James Owen Halstead." Erin said with tears in her eyes.

"Erin Lindsay, I could love you forever the same, no matter what." Jay said, tears falling from his cheeks.

Erin leaned in to kiss Jay, much stronger than before.

"Now, let's get changed. We don't want to wear the same clothes as yesterday." Erin laughed as she started to pull away, walking toward the bathroom.

Jay grabbed Erin's hand making her spin back into his arms.

"I am so happy we are here, in a good place starting to begin our lives together." Jay said with his arms around Erin's waist.

"I am too, babe. I've never been more happy." Erin said as she leaned in close with her arms around his back giving him a lasting hug.

Erin let go and squeezed his hand before walking away toward the bathroom again. Before walking through the door frame, holding the door handle in her left hand, she turned around and winked at Jay before closing the door.